What is needed for a spiritual revival?

With the steady decline of religion, I was wondering what would it take for a larger spiritual revival? It almost seems as though nothing can possibly revive it on a larger scale. I predict that a larger scale revival will come from within, when people experience the obvious advantages of spirituality.

Uh, rethink that statement. :slight_smile:

What is needed for a spiritual revival?

Those of faith need to have enough love to suffer (as Christ did) for those who lack faith while emploring God’s grace and assistence for all.

The blood of martyrs has always worked.

I agree that a larger scale revival must come from within hearts, and work its way out from there.

One thing I think would hasten things a bit, is if the faithful were encouraged in a systematic way, to look at the apophatic traditions of the Church, and not just the cataphatic ones we all know and love. It is there we will find the Cloud of the Unknowing – the cataphatic traditions tend to build the Cloud of the Knowing. Nothing wrong with that, but without the Unknowing, there is no guidance on truly “denying oneself” the way Jesus describes, except for exercises in will power – which IMO can too easily and too often backfire and build pride more than surrender.

Another thing is if we quit obsessing over telling people of other religions they are wrong, and start looking for common ground. Because if all humans are truly members of the Body of Christ and a part of the mystical Church, then we need to work together and not be a huge house divided.

For example, I have some FB friends that are New Age. They talk of crystals, tarot, and reiki treatment. But they also talk of love, self-sacrifice, peace, not worrying about tomorrow, and all sorts of good things. When they speak truth, I “like” it, so they know I’m paying attention. From time to time I inject comments without references to their religious terminology, from a Christian POV, and even quote from the Bible – to either affirm (with revised wording) what they said, or to add value.

Here’s an example. I just looked and surely enough one of them said something just this morning that I could “Jesus-ize.”

He wrote, 12 hours ago:
“Stop fighting the battle
And know you’ve already won
Go from zero to hero
And realize we are all one.”

So I just added this reply:
This might explain what Jesus meant by, “turn the other cheek,” and “do not repay evil with evil, or insult with insult.”

Now watch, I bet within 30 minutes I’ll have at least two “likes” from New Agers. Do you realize what that means? It means New Agers publicly acknowledged Jesus’ teachings. Now isn’t that more effective at building true global spiritual unity, than by unfriending them or bashing them every time they say something I don’t believe in? Not only that, but they also quote Jesus, or Catholic saints, maybe once a week or more. :eek:

The way I evangelize is not by fighting people, but by planting seeds – seeds that I can already tell from what they say will land close to their hearts. Then I let the Lord take it from there. :wink:

Matt 13:24-30
He proposed another parable to them. “The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a man who sowed good seed in his field. While everyone was asleep his enemy came and sowed weeds all through the wheat, and then went off. When the crop grew and bore fruit, the weeds appeared as well. The slaves of the householder came to him and said, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where have the weeds come from?’ He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ His slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ He replied, ‘No, if you pull up the weeds you might uproot the wheat along with them. Let them grow together until harvest; then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters, “First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning; but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

Alan

The Divine intervention which is needed to awaken people can only come from God.

Whether God inspires a person of holiness to do it, or even brings a catastrophe, it will be done according to His will.

In his book, “Jesus of Nazareth,” Volume II, Pope Benedict shows that throughout the history of humankind, when man says know to God, God provides another way.

People are saying no to God these days, but God will reveal Himself through other ways and it will be profound.

Jim

A revival in the hearts of believers.
I watched a video Ava maria which had clips from
The Passion, I have never seen the whole movie. I sobbed.
If I started every day thinking about His suffering and torment, His unspeakable mercy for me a sinner of the rankest order, than I would have to love Him more. I would as night follows day have to share his love and mercy with others. God is so Good. I want to praise him with my life.

Our species may well be fast approaching evolve-or-die time. A spiritual revolution may be the only way seven billion people and counting can learn to share a planet. Whether that new spirituality might look like what we’re used to seeing, I dunno. But it’s pretty clear something’s gonna have to give soon; we can’t keep doing what we’re doing.

:thumbsup:

I think we can make a change by loving everyone without hesitation. Love is number one and always conquers evil. As it says in the Bible not sure where- Overcome evil with good.
It also takes positive thinking and prayer and complete trust in God.
I think the more people who live by example the bigger difference there will be :heart:
Peace +++

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.