What is New Age Music?

What exactly is new age music and is it bad to listen to it?

I have some Celtic-type songs form Lord of the Dance which are great to listen to and I was wondering if that would be bad?:shrug:

New Age music is a broad term for types of music intended to put people in a trance to make them defenseless. New Agers tend to feel there is no danger in the world, so they see this helpless mental state as good, a form of relaxation. But since the world actually is dangerous, it really isn’t a good idea IMHO to spend much time with all one’s defenses turned off, so I’d suggest thinking about how the music makes you feel.

One of the best jokes I’ve heard in a long time is:

Q: What do you get when you play New Age Music backwards?

A: . . .New Age Music! :rotfl:

Not sure. heh

Hmm, as a musician I have been asked if some of the materiaI I write is new age. Mostly the mellow laid back stuff w/ lots of ambience patches. I explain it’s not. I can’t sing well enough for the vocal track and thus it’s nothing more than an incomplete instrumental.

The late acoustic guitarist Michael Hedges was one in the new age label. I just accepted him as an incredibly talented and innovative guitarist. (shrugs)

Yet I am sure there’s a whole scene for new age beliefs but sometimes music just gets labelled.

Well there’s a lot of music (mostly classical) that puts me in a mellow mood, but it’s not New Age.:confused:

<<< New Age music is a broad term for types of music intended to put people in a trance to make them defenseless. New Agers tend to feel there is no danger in the world, so they see this helpless mental state as good, a form of relaxation. But since the world actually is dangerous, it really isn’t a good idea IMHO to spend much time with all one’s defenses turned off, so I’d suggest thinking about how the music makes you feel. >>>

I think that’s a little of an excessive explanation. The New Agers/Pagans I know and knew do not believe there is no danger in the world. However, I do agree that New Age music is mostly about putting you into a state of relaxation. I admit to having “Whale Song” in my CD rack, but the CD that relaxes me the most when I have a hard time sleeping is the Beatle’s “One” album…and it has a much better message. :wink:

Our parents used to think heavy metal music was bad.
As for New Age…if it helps you relax, I’m for it.
Kathy

Mellow kind of formless prettyish music is what I think of as New Age. Me - I don’t care for it, but I don’t think it’s dangerous.

Since New Age is just a label that listeners put on music, it’s a matter of how the music affects you. but if it’s from an avowed New Age source, read the label carefully to see whether it has subliminal messages. Read the artist’s website if you have any doubt. Some subliminals are just something like “What a nice day” but others are geared to a certain religious assumption. If it has words, listen to them critically before making them part of your environment.
There is nothing wrong with relaxing or with Celtic music. But if you relax mentally so deeply that your thinking is dreamlike and you find it hard to be rational, it may be the music or you may need more sleep. Or you had too much to drink.
Celtic music is as variable in content and purpose as Slavic music or Siberian music or Latin American music. Read what you can about it and see what you’re listening to. It may be good music.
I’m just saying, from a lot of experience, don’t go around in a trance without your mental defenses just because you want to relax. It’s extremely hard to make good decisions in that state of mind.

Basically possession music

Jimmy, let dead threads lie, OK?

If you want to start a discussion on the subject, fine: I just think it’s wise to have a whole new thread, rather than trying to bring one back, where the many posters may no longer be active on the forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.