What is official church teaching about modesty in dress for women?

What is official church teaching about modesty in dress for women?

It seems as if, in our parish, there is no limit to how much skin can be shown at Mass or other parish activities. The leader of the Bible Study Group, an amply endowed middle aged woman, covers very little and it is so embarrassing to my adult son that he will not go to the sessions any more. It has been brought up with this leader who said that she is “dressing up for Jesus.” I have spoken with the Adult Religious Education Director who told me that I am being judgmental of “her” (the leader’s) choice of clothing style. I have brought this up with the pastor who said that he was “not going to do anything about that.”

Teenage girls sometimes wear “booty shorts” or very scanty dresses to do the readings at Sunday Mass, bring up the gifts to the altar, or even to assist the eucharistic minister during Communion. Girls in the recent Confirmation class wore dresses that shocked some parishioners so much that it is still the subject of gossip weeks later.

Sometimes I wonder if the “new Catholic” has lost all common sense!

The following link should help answer your questions about modesty. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What constitutes modest dress for young Catholic women?

The following link should help answer your questions about modesty. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What constitutes modest dress for young Catholic women?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.