What is our Catholic faith about Suicide?

If someone suicide what Bible tell us about his or her soul where it will go. It will have permission to go in heaven after the judgment day or it will always burn in the hell? What Bible say about suicide and what is our Catholic faith about Suicide person?

i knew a priest that said he doubted if many people who committed suicide went to hell. he based this off that fact that anyone who kills themself must not be in a right healthy state of mind. i doubt that’s true for all cases, but something to think about.

Would you like to tell me some briefly what yours priest said about suicide?

Hi Seven,

Suicide is a total rejection of God’s plan for our lives. In itself it is a grievous offense against Him and leads us away from him for eternity.

As said above, suicide is often the result of a disturbed mind and does not nececessarily entail condemnation. The Church, which used to refuse religous burial to suicides, does not systematically do that anymore.

We are judged immediately after death, and there is no appeal.

The final judgment is a sort of public proclamation of the state we have merited in the last moment of our life.It dfoes not change our fate.

Verbum

I’m currently going through RCIA and my Priest breifly touched on suicide a couple of weeks ago.

According to him, centuries ago there was a problem, whereby some Catholics would go to confession, receive the Blessed Sacrament and then being in a state of Grace, commit suicide, thus (in their minds anyway) going straight to Heaven.

The ‘straight to hell’ thing was a means of stopping people from contemplating this course of action and clearly did not take into account any psycological states of mind that would make someone take their own life.

Just incase anyone is about to refute or completely believe all this, I have no idea if it is true, only that my Priest explained the Church’s stance on suicide using the example given above.

Okay, here is the specific teaching of the Catholic Church from the Catechism on suicide. It is pretty much self explanatory.

Suicide
2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.
2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.