What is Our Lady like?

This might seem like sort of a funny question :wink:
but I was just thinking about our Blessed Mother today, and I started wondering, what is she like? what would it be like to know her? what are her greatest virtues? I think they’re humility, purity, and love for God.

Personally, when I think of Mary, I think of someone very gentle. She’s our “Mother of Mercy”. There’s a prayer somewhere, I think by St Liguori, asking Mary to shield us with her mantle. And just that image, how she’s our loving Mother who protects us and holds us close to her, I think that’s so wonderful :slight_smile:

That is an excellent question. I don’t know what Our Lady is like, and nobody will until you get to heaven…but…

I picture her as very loving. Every time we sin, it hurts her so much, but there is still so much love that she is willing to be compassionate. I read somewhere that she comes and brings refreshment to the souls burning in Purgatory once in awhile. Like a mother, she’s always there to help when one of her children needs her.

-Jeanne

When I think of Mary, I think of a beautiful lady who is a more perfect version of my own mother. My mother, God rest her soul was one of the kindest gentlest people I know. I always felt safe and protected and loved when she was near. BUT being human she had her faults, minor when compared to most but she was not perfect.

Mary on the other hand is perfectly beautiful, understands us perfectly, and is always there to help and watch over us.

Mary is the new Eve. She is pure, motherly, loving, sinless, totally obedient to God and so much more.

Jesus gave her to us when he was on the cross.

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death.
Amen :signofcross:

I was at Adoration one night praying my rosary. There is a statue of the Blessed Mother up by the altar where the Blessed Sacrament is. I had this image come to mind that She was smiling at me as well as Jesus. I smiled back. I felt this great warmth being there alone. I just have this image of her as being the ultimate mother with unending love for all of us.

IMHO, I fully agree with your thinking:thumbsup:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.