What is Paschal meal?

Anyone knows what is Paschal meal? The youth visual arts ministry in my parish decided to do it, but no one knows what it is and how it should be done LoL

Thus, my friend, who is in the team asked me, To my surprise, they said it is to represent the last supper and it will be done before Palm Sunday, because they said it was done before Jesus went to Jerusalem. It makes me LoL even more.

As I recall, back when I was in grade school (early to mid 1960’s) we did this. It was the recreation of the last supper meal…to include lamb. But that is all I remember…

If you mean a seder meal, as for the Jewish passover, there is usually a booklet sold in grocery stores that carry kosher items for passover that has the menu, and order of blessings etc. in both English and Hebrew. Whether or not it is apppropriate for Christians to emulate a celebration of such profound religious significance for another religion is of course up for discussion. You could also check the children’s section in your local library, which is where I find a lot of good, easy to read info on various cultures and customs. I have an excellent children’s book that describes the foods, prayers and customs and why they are done.

We have been in parishes where this was done, but having lived for many years in a primarily Jewish neighborhood, I found that many of our Jewish friends were extremely offended by the idea of Christians re-enacting what to them was a solemn religious celebration. One Jewish colleague, whom I respect very highly, likened it to non-Christians staging a “fake Mass”.

You can read about it from the site Judaism 101 here. (Obviously, this is a Jewish site which denies the Christian interpretation - don’t let that phase you, though. It’s generally good info.) You might also re-read Exo 12.

The Paschal meal is highly significant for Catholics, as it pre-figured the mass (where we truly eat the Lamb - again, Exo 12). The 4 questions asked during the haggadah are also significant - particularly the question of the “wicked child”, which highlights the anamnesis (bringing to the present the past reality) inherent in the Paschal mystery.

To understand how this played a significant role in early Christian thought/writing, you might check out Scott Hahn’s article in This Rock, entitled “The Hunt for the Fourth Cup”. After reading it you should have a better understanding, and perhaps some more questions.

Oh, and you might want to keep in mind that since the destruction of the Temple (roughly 70AD) and the elimination of the Aaronic (Jewish) Priesthood, there’s no properly slaughtered lamb in Judaism any more for their Passover meals - Biblically speaking. Bless their hearts, they’re merely doing the best they know how.

God Bless,
RyanL

P.S.,
You might notice some eerie parallels with our Liturgy…like the following:

Blessed are You, L-rd, our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us concerning the washing of the hands.

Blessed are You, L-rd, our G-d, King of the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth.

Blessed are You, L-rd, our G-d, King of the universe, who creates the fruit of the vine.

Very cool!!! The Sedar Meal is celebrated each year at our parish.

HOw can one believe the last supper happened before Jesus entered Jerusalem? He stopped eating after that? I thought it was the night before his crucifixion? (I believe they ate lamb).

The Paschal Meal is the Seder (meaning order) Meal or Passover. We just did it for our RCIA class and Confirmation class.

It is the Passover meal as celebrated by Jesus and the Apostles and how Jesus changed the old covenant into the new. It was done on Holy Thursday and was completed on Friday at Jesus’ crucifixtion.

I do suggest the Scott Hahn book that was recommended in another post. I don’t know where our staff got the material (booklet) for the meal with all the prayers but I can find out and post it here later. The foods are not hard to find, they are ingredients you can get anywhere and someone can make the unleavened bread or you can use unconsecrated hosts.

I’ll see what I can find out about the materials for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.