What is proper clothing for any Mass?

NO or TLM. What do you think is “proper” clothing for Mass?

Now I know that many people say that alot of things are allowed. But allowed and proper can be two very different things. No flames just your personl opinions.

In my case I feel that it should be clean first. Then for a man or male child I like to see at the least a nice pair of dress pants or khakis and a nice (golf type) shirt without sayings and pictures.

Clean first. Then a pair of dress pants (ankle length) or a skirt that is no shorter then just above the knee (not waders, shorts or mini skirts) so kneeling or sitting it does not have to be tugged down. A blouse or shirt that does not show cleavage or belly without tugging. Again with out sayings and pictures.

Then we can go better if we desire and felt led to do so. I think this kind of dress maintains the dignity of the person dressing and the person seeing them. But then this is just my opinion.

I would vote for anything modest. I cringe when I see people wear shorts to Mass.

The standard that I would like to see – but don’t have any real hope that I will – is to dress as well as you would to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant. That would mean something better than jeans and a t-shirt.

I know that it’s good that people come to Mass, no matter what they’re wearing. But I think Jesus deserves as least as much respect as the maitre d’ at a good restaurant.

I whole-heartedly agree. The ole Sunday best.

(We have one man at my Parish who wears a suit every Sunday - and a tuxedo on Easter. Talk about respect!)

I agree, no shorts, mini skirts, tank tops, jeans, t-shirts with words or pictures, and no flip flops. I know times are tough for people but a nice pair of pants and a decent shirt would be great even if you have to wear that same outfit every Sunday, that’s ok. Just my opinion. God bless-

Modestly
:tiphat:
Men: Formal pants or khaki, long-sleeves or short-sleeves collared shirts, leather shoes or other formal/contemporary shoes.
Women: Mantilla or veil, dress/long skirt, long sleeves or short sleeves blouse, sandals, leather shoes.
:tsktsk:
We should not wear jeans, t-shirts with or without printed graphics or brand names, sweatshirts hooded or not, no spaghetti-strap tops, tank tops, short skirts, skimpy shorts and sleeveless shirts with plunging necklines, no caps inside the church for men (e.g. baseball caps), basketball jerseys, jogging pants, and shorts, no sneakers, tennis shoes, chucks, flip-flap, etc. to church.
:yup:
Whether we go in the TLM or NOM we should dress modestly for it is a respect to the house of prayer.
and
It is an adherence to the Word of God and to the teachings of St. Paul.
:signofcross:
Pax
Laudater Jesus Christo
Instaurare omnia in Christo

The Protestants and the Jews put us to shame with regards to Sunday (or Sabbath) dress. Stand outside any protestant church or jewish temple and watch what they walk out in. And these people don’t have the Eucharist!

I’m for clothes that cover the body and are clean. What I would love to see are people dressed in their best. Although God may not care how we are dressed for mass, I just think out of respect, we should try to dress our best. It’s one of the least we can do.

For women - skirts/dresses that fall at the knee or lower, modest necklines, slacks/pants that are cut below the calf or at the ankles (no shorts), covered shoulders. In the summer, if I have a sleeveless top, I always wear a sweater or shawl into the church. No hats unless it is a dress hat that is meant to be worn with a suit or dress.

For men - nice trousers/khakis with clean dress shirt or polo shirt, tie. No shorts or muscle shirts, no baseball caps.

Let me tell you what I wore to mass monday.
I wore swimming shorts, and a navy blue t shirt.
In the front of the shirt it had the vatican flag, and under it said Catholic, est. 33 ad.

in the back, it looked like a baseball jersey, it had the name Benedict, and on the bottom big numbers, 13…

I wore this because I was in a rush to get to mass.

Modesty is important, but we shouldn’t judge. Even if someone is wearing shorts. We can never know the entire situation someone is in. That includes, financial, emotional, and spiritual.

God Bless.

I agree that we shouldn’t judge others, but I think in this day and age of “let’s not upset anyone”, we have gotten too weak-kneed to speak up and challenge people to take an honest assessment of themselves in this area. What people need to do is look hard at their own choice of attire and ask themselves if they really are wearing Sunday’s best. You can’t judge others, but you can judge yourself.

If everyone really did that, then there would probably not be the all-too-casual attitude toward divine worship that pervades today. Some people just need to be called to task on this area of self-evaluation. Many are never challenged, so they don’t rise to the occasion.

Judging your self and reflecting upon your self are two different things.

Such as, before confession, and for me sometimes during confession, you reflect upon your actions and thoughts. You don’t judge your self, who makes you your own master? The only master and judge is God.

Instead of judging your self in the mirror ex: I look so hideous, how can I show my face in that Church, how disgraceful.

You can say: Maybe next time, I should try and look more modest for my lord.

I mean also, for everyone with “wandering eyes”, a Father told me to treat all women like my sisters.

If you take that to heart, you lose the Wandering eyes disease :X.

But, like, if all girls have is a tank top, spaghetti straps, God saw us since we were naked lil babies. Why be ashamed?

Nap time.

Traditions change.
I think we should draw the line at shorts for adults of either sex, and obviously revealing clothes for women.
I think the tradition of mantillas for women at TLM is a good one, and Sunday suits for men. However its going to be while before this is firmly established.

I don’t think anyone is judging here - at least I know that I’m not. Dressing their best - whether it is a clean pair of jeans or a Chanel suit. And I was just stating what I thought would be ideal. It would just be nice to see people give their best if they can and able. Although, personally, when I’m at mass, I’m not really paying attention to what most people are wearing, except if a girl is wearing a skirt that barely covers her behind or a guy wearing really tight pants so that you could see the outline of his… well, you get the picture.

At our Cathedral a lot of visitors come in during the year after races for charity organizations or cancer survivors, etc., so they are really sweaty, wet and some are pretty ripe. But I don’t really care. I know they were doing something “good” and I’m glad they decided to come to mass after the event. Most are good enough to usually sit not too close to others out of respect to their olefactory senses. ha! ha!

At another church where I would go in the country, they are mostly farmers. Some only had enough money to have a clean pair or jeans and a shirt. Some would still smell like cow manure, but that didn’t bother me. They were wearing their best.

So, someone’s best can vary according to financial situations, etc.

We should come to Mass clothed in gratitude, humility, and contrition.

Gratitude for the 1) the Eucharist, 2) the Life, Passion and Death of our Saviour, 3) our many blessings from our Creator.

Humility for the invitation to be with the I AM.

Contrition for the ways we have disappointed and offended the I AM who loves us.

If we have interiorly clothed ourself with gratitude, humility, and contrition, our exterior clothes will be immaterial.

I simply love your post, Orion!

But we should teach others. Swimming shorts? Goodwill is a cheap source of clothing. I’m sure that even the most indigent could find something presentable to wear. And, being someone who is always in a rush, I don’t feel wrong in telling you - our Lord deserves for us to plan our time better so that we are both in a proper state of mind and a proper state of dress.

And you show this interior ‘clothing’ how? By saying, as many do, ‘well, at least I went to Mass.’?

It’s disrespectful and it causes scandal.

I would say that you are letting the Puritanical/Calvinistic PoV affect your statement here (whether you realize it or not). Catholics do not look at the body as incidental and immaterial. In fact, our entire sacramental system is based upon the realization that material things do matter…in fact, they help save us. We are not souls trapped in totally depraved bodies (as a Calvinist would say). Our bodies are an essential part of our being. As humans, we are both corporal and spiritual in nature. To deny that the physical plays a part in worship is denying our very nature.

Puritans and strict Calvinists will say that bodies (and anything in the material world) are depraved, and therefore any attempt to bring this physical world in conformity with holiness is vanity because it is unattainable and, therefore, not important to the life of a Christian. They stress the spiritual to the point that the material is a non-issue. The problem is that we are not trying to get away from our bodies, we are trying to sanctify our bodies. When we fast, when we work our bodies in service to the poor, when we adorn our bodies as Temples of the Holy Spirit, we are acknowledging a very Catholic idea: the material world is inextricably bound up in the redemptive work of Christ.

This is the guiding principle behind decorations, sacred music (Gregorian chant, polyphany, etc…), social justice, beautiful architecture, inspiring priestly vestments, etc… You bring the lordship and glory of Jesus christ to bear on time and space.

So, I’d say that dressing your best is a sign that you have a healthy image of yourself as a body/soul composite being. While you do not overwmphasize the physical to the denial of the spiritual dimension, denying the physical and saying the spirit is all that matters will ultimately lead to a desolate view of humanity…not to mention boring.

:thumbsup:

Dress modestly, in attire that doesn’t give scandal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.