What is Purgatory?

We go through Purgatory in this life… in our sufferings and hardships…

Here are some of my “purgatories”:

Obama '08 bumper stickers… :rolleyes: :ouch:

people who think the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon :rolleyes::banghead:

the fact that the whole world isn’t devoutly Roman Catholic.

etc, etc…

having to get up in the morning…

hand-shaking during the Mass - Yuck! :dts: (unless its some attractive guy who wants to shake my hand… that’s different… :D)

having to figure out what to do with blocks of spare time… wanting to “save the world” but not knowing how… exactly…

not knowing stuff…

CAF (sometimes)

I’ll shake your hand at Mass… :stuck_out_tongue: :rotfl::rotfl:

People who drive below the speed limit (especially if they’re in the fast lane)

People who always seem to “don’t get it”

People who think they’re right all the time

:rolleyes:

well, you wouldn’t like me then… :smiley: (guilty on all 3)… although, actually, on the 1st one… i do drive the speed limit but people in the left lane always want you to drive 20 mph more than that… so i am considered slow… and THAT is one of my “purgatories”… :rolleyes:something i should (but don’t often) offer up … for expiation and all that…

On the 2nd one… Well, there are a FEW things i don’t “get”… like why 54% of so called Catholics voted for you know who… :mad: I’ll never get that one… but i do tend to think that they really were just So-called Catholics and not “real ones”… who were surveyed…

In other words, i doubt the surveyor asked people who were existing daily Mass (those would most likely be the “real ones” who actually believe the Church) … :rolleyes:

How about finding out what your actions have become chances for many others to shorten their time in Purgatory? ;):slight_smile:

I do all of these things.

When there’s only one lane, it’s the fast lane, slow lane, etc. There is no such thing as the fast lane. I’ve never seen one posted as such. Why are you in such a hurry? Why are you wasting gas that way? Why didn’t you start out earlier? I’ll see you at the next stop light, when I catch up with you, as I usually do.

I don’t want to “get it.” “It” is usually something that is almost always sinful. I’ve seen too much pain, sorrow, and death to worry about “it.”

I think I’m right all the time (that what I’m trying to do all the time), unless I find out that I’m not, but then when I learn what is right, I’m right again. What? You want to be “wrong” all the time? I think I’ve met you.

:smiley: . I can relate… seems like people think the freeway is a race-way… :rolleyes: have no clue why… are they trying to run from soemthing? themselves??? :hmmm::coffeeread:

I don’t want to “get it.”

:Dyeah, what does poster mean by people who don’t get it?? i kinda don’t get it…

I think I’m right all the time , unless I find out that I’m not, but then when I learn what is right, I’m right again. What? You want to be “wrong” all the time? I think I’ve met you.

I would get a little nervous around someone who doesn’t think he is right… at least most (some?) of the time…

I mean… there are some things you just can’t afford to be too wrong about…

that’s not purgatory but a little piece of Heaven…

Purgatory on Eartth is penance, little sacrifices you offer Jesus in union with His sufferings on the Cross.

I once thought I was wrong, but I found out I was mistaken.

How about them apples? for being right all time.
Peace,
Tom

apples??? :confused:

there’s one way to be right all the time:

trust the RCC… :slight_smile:

Then again, they say that more than 70% of self-identifying Catholics do not attend weekly Mass. It is also disturbing to see the occasional “Obama2008” bumper sticker on a car in the Church parking lot, as if the Church they are visiting worships the Illinois Messiah, or that there’s any issue of Herod-Obama’s which is greater or more important than his desire to rationalize and fund the abortions of innocents which he callously calls “mistakes”.

Could you give some examples just as you listed on your first post on this thread?

Those things that get on our nerves in our daily lives are great little sacrifices to make, as Eucharisted mentioned, in union with Jesus’ sufferings on the Cross provided you bear them with patience and your intentions are pure. The great thing here is you can offer them for a specific intention and you also reap the benefits since it will count as part of your Purgatory here on earth.

Cats smacking their lips.

Inopportune loud train whistles.

Telephone ringing.

The mere sight or, at times, thought of centipedes.

I just wanna drive the posted speed limit is all.

I don’t want to “get it.” “It” is usually something that is almost always sinful. I’ve seen too much pain, sorrow, and death to worry about “it.”

I wasn’t thinking about those kinds of “it”…

I think I’m right all the time (that what I’m trying to do all the time), unless I find out that I’m not, but then when I learn what is right, I’m right again. What? You want to be “wrong” all the time? I think I’ve met you.

LOL! Touche!

I like to drive the speed limit as well.

On the 2nd one… Well, there are a FEW things i don’t “get”… like why 54% of so called Catholics voted for you know who… :mad: I’ll never get that one… but i do tend to think that they really were just So-called Catholics and not “real ones”… who were surveyed…

I don’t get that one either.

An example perhaps. I once sat next to a girl in college who would turn EVERYTHING the teacher taught us into a question as if she could never get what the teacher was saying. Like the teacher would say “2+2=4”. And this girl would turn it around & say “Wait, so what you’re saying is that 2+2=4. Is that right? Could you explain that more?”

It was like she never got what the teacher was saying & it drove me NUTS!!!

now he’s the WA messiah… :rolleyes:

yeah, actually, that’ wht i meant … Obama 08 stickers in Chruch parking lots… although they DO annoy me anywhere… :mad:

when i see one in the Church p -lot… i keep expecting to hear the theme music from the Twilight Zone …

(no laugh icon 'cause not funny :mad:)

anyhow… i got the notion somwhere… (?) that BHO wasn’t so rabidly pro-abort as when senaator… wonder if there’s any truth to that?

(I really need to have access to Fox news… kinda hard when you don’t have TV… :hmmm:)

maybe she was distracted…

maybe she had a boyfriend like some of the ones i’ve had… Yikes! :eek: sometimes its hard to focus on things because you are disturbed…

just wondering…

i say this because i can SO relate…

but then again, maybe she was just stupid… :smiley:

the only wy i can “explain” it is that the 54% were not Church-attending Catholics… but then, only the ones taking that survey know… and i don’t know who that was. Do you?

not that i care… even 1% of “Catholics” voting for Mr. Most Pro-Abortion would be incomprehensible…

(maybe those 54% have never seen a photo of an aborted child)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.