What is Purgatory?

Now I know this has probably been talked about many times before, but here’s my question:

Purgatory is place for final purification, so that we may enter Heaven and perfect souls, saints…

on top of that:

Do you believe other things can happen in Purgatory? For example, do you believe that a person can be brought to Christ in Purgatory if they lived good, faithful lives on Earth but never truly knew Him? Do you believe a person can even be brought to God in Purgatory? Of course, this all ties into who gets to go to Purgatory (only Catholics or all Christians or anyone who believed in God or even just anyone who led an honest life and never knew if was God who guided them)

But what exactly does the Church say Purgatory is? Is it possible that, for some, it indeed can be that last second chance? The final time to accept Christ? Or is it soley for those who already believe and only need purification?

Just trying to figure some things out:) Thanks guys:)

In Him,
Britty

It is for those who need purification. The Church says that non-Christians CAN be saved, so it is for non-Christians and Christians alike to be purified. As for why someone goes-I imagine if you committed a venial sin that was never made up for, you will go in relation to the gravity and number of the sins committed.

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the Universal Church, Those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

Revealed to St. Gertrude the Great. Releases a THOUSAND souls each time it is said!!!

I don’t want to derail your thread, but I have a question about the belief of purgatory myself.

Where is it supported in the bible? Are there any specific chapsters/verses that talk about it?

The belief in Purgatory can be understood by understanding the Catholic view of salvation, we believe you have to be perfect to be in the presence of God. God makes us perfect here on earth and if not here on earth, then in Purgatory. It is not a second chance but a way of cleaning us up so that we can be in the presence of God.

Here are some scripture verses to back this up. Got these from ScriptureCatholic.com

Heb. 12:23 - the spirits of just men who died in godliness are “made” perfect.
They do not necessarily arrive perfect. They are made perfect after their death. But those in heaven are already perfect, and those in hell can no longer be made perfect. These spirits are in purgatory

Rev. 21:27 - nothing unclean shall enter heaven.
The word “unclean” comes from the Greek word “koinon” which refers to a spiritual corruption. Even the propensity to sin is spiritually corrupt, or considered unclean, and must be purified before entering heaven. Purgatory exists because of the mercy of God. If there were no purgatory, this would also likely mean no salvation for most people. God is merciful indeed.

There is much much more which you can find here, scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

I believe that John Martignoni makes a little clearer explanation expecially for the people coming from outside the Catholic Church. www.biblechristiansociety.com

A common objection to Purgatory is that this negates the sufficiency of Christ’s sacrifice.
This only would be if it is a second chance. Purgatory is not a second chance, it is for people who are saved. Jesus has paid for our salvation fully, God makes us clean so we can enter into His presence.

Hopefully I explained it all right, if I made any mistakes in presentation feel free to correct me.

God Bless
Scylla

The church has never made a definite statement on what purgatory is, whether a state or a place. I feel it is a process which the spirit or soul goes through before being admitted to heaven itself. It may be instantaneous or a long period of time. Think of it as a “car wash” where a car is cleaned. We go through this process by some sort of purging fire to remove any existing stain of sin and natural tendencies as well.

Hi CheesusPowerKidNow,

Quote: “Do you believe other things can happen in Purgatory? For example, do you believe that a person can be brought to Christ in Purgatory if they lived good, faithful lives on Earth but never truly knew Him?”

My comment: No. Purification only. There are no second chances. Heb 9:27. I must say that there are those that can be saved through Baptism of Desire, that is, those who did not know Him “Explicitly” but act on the graces and the natural law given to them. (see Acts 17:26-27; Rom 2:14)

Quote: “But what exactly does the Church say Purgatory is?”

My Comment: “All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven. The Church gives the name “Purgatory” to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. (CCC 1030-1031)”

May God bless,

James224

Hi streetcar,

Quote: “I don’t want to derail your thread, but I have a question about the belief of purgatory myself.
Where is it supported in the bible? Are there any specific chapsters/verses that talk about it?”

My comment: 1 Pet 3:19 says Christ, after He descended into hell, preached to the spirits in “Prison”. The Greek word there is “Phulake” or “Phulaken” (Strong’s #5438). The same Greek word is used in Matt 5:25 where Jesus is speaking about the quality of souls and where these souls are headed: Heaven (Matt 5:3-12); Hell (Matt 5:20-22), Purgatory (prison) (Matt 5:23-26). Notice: Those in “Prison” get out (v26). 1 Pet 3:19 proves where this prison is- in hell (see also Acts 2:31). Heb 9:27 says at the point of death we are judged, ie, Christ is preaching to those in Purgatory because those in the Bosom of Abraham are being taken out then so they wouldn’t need His preaching and those in the hell of the damned wouldn’t benefit.
Also, another good place is 1 Cor 3:11-15. Especially vs13,15 because v13 says this happens on the “Day of the Lord” which is the day of your death. V15 says you will be saved but how? By FIRE.

May God bless,

James224

James224

Purgatory is ONLY for those who are already Christians and not for those who never professed a faith in Jesus Christ, It is not a "second chance". Purgatory only serves one purpose and that is the purging away the remaining sin and sinful desires of a Christian soul.

Hi Piety101,

Quote:“Purgatory is ONLY for those who are already Christians and not for those who never professed a faith in Jesus Christ, It is not a “second chance”. Purgatory only serves one purpose and that is the purging away the remaining sin and sinful desires of a Christian soul.”

My comment: I said it was not a second chance. You read it wrong. I thought I made that clear. I also said it is only for purification. I even quoted Heb 9:27. I answered 2 posts so maybe you could look at them again. As far as professing Jesus Christ, do you believe in Baptism of Desire? Read the following:

““Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery.”[62] Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity.” CCC1260

May God bless,

James224

Hi Piety,

You’re right! I didn’t read his post correctly. I didn’t see the “In Purgatory”. Good going! I’m glad you corrected my error. I certainly didn’t mean that.

May God bless,

James224

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.