What is reasonable diligence to remove ignorance?

Hello everyone,

First of all, I should let you know that I struggle with scruples in a serious way, so very often do I get the impression that numerous actions of my daily life might be mortally sinful. When I do not know, I should remove my ignorance by reasonable diligence to the circumstances. My question is: to what extent concretely should efforts be displayed so as to remove ignorance? Does that mean trying to contact priests as soon as possible to ask them? Is searching on the internet sufficient? Finally, are scrupulous people in another boat since their scruples would make them spend their whole life trying to speak to priests or apologists?

Thank you for your answers,

God bless you.

What you need to do is to find a good priest and *listen to him. *Random strangers in the internet cannot help you, because we can’t be sure to have the right knowledge of sin, and because we are sure to lack knowledge of your particular circumstances.

Priests are very accustomed to dealing with excessive scrupulosity and will be able to help you deal with your day-to-day life without having to call him before you do every single thing :slight_smile: Just remember that if you do what he tells you, and he tells you the wrong thing, it’s on him, not you. But they rarely tell people the wrong thing, so you don’t have to worry about that happening, just understand the principle that because for now you lack that balance, and you put yourself under his direction, you don’t have to worry.

San Francis,
Thank you very much for giving an answer. I have heard and read about a priest giving some general rule to be followed. Unfortunately, my confessor set an appointment in one week and a half, which means that right now I am lost. I talked with Fr. Serpa on the phone yesterday, but he did not give any rule like that so far since he had an appointment or something like that. So what shall I do right now? I can go to confession this afternoon, but the priests don’t know me well and this week, my confessor told me “as a penance” to stop going to confession that often. What shall I do? I don’t know whether I can go to communion or not since I acted against my conscience although it was telling me not to act that way under dread of mortal sin.
I feel like I want to be with God but I don’t stop facing exhausting moral dilemmas, and often I feel like I committed a mortal sin and it keeps me far away from him.
God bless you.

I apologize for not responding sooner… You have just a few days before your appointment. Until then, keep up your prayers and spiritual life as usual, stay close to Him *no matter how you feel. *And keep this priest in your prayers so he will be able to gve you the very best advice. Don’t worry about any current sins as they will be sorted out by the priest at your appointment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.