What is reformed orthodox?

I was just wondering if Reformed Orthodox was a different branch of Eastern Orthodoxy or something of its own? To me it seems like an oxymoron “reformed” and “orthodox.” I am just curious because a teacher at my school said he was reformed orthodox and that’s why he did not get a Rosary with a crucifix on it. But, I have seen orthodox art of the crucifixion.

Quick research seems to suggest its people who mix Protestantism with eastern practices and ideals. Much of it seems to be more of a response to Roman Catholicism, hence why your teacher may have emphasized the “no crucifix” of a rosary (which Orthodox do not use) - Jack Chick attacks crucifixes, saying the Roman Catholics worship a “dead Jesus.”

If any one knows any more (or better), feel free to correct me :smiley:

It’s significant that the Reformation stopped short at the borders of the Russian and old Byzantine empire. Attempts to introduce reformation ideas in traditionally Orthodox countries generally fall flat, as the Reformation was the reaction to the accumulated mistakes of the mediaeval Latin church.

This is not to say that individual Orthodox have become Protestants. But it seems that Protestantism in whatever form holds charms only for those who have no idea what Orthodox actually is or teaches.

The term appears to refer to groups who are protestants.

Some, the the “Orthodox Reformed Church” are just hardline protestants who reject modernism.

A New Beginning

Our congregation was formed in 1989 with the leadership of a minister and former elders of other Edmonton churches. The need to form a new church was due to the fact that these other churches had for several years been departing from the authority of the Bible and from their own historic creeds and confessions.

This departure became especially evident in the influence which evolutionary science, humanistic psychology and feminism was having on the teaching and practices of these churches. Critical results were seen in a breakdown of biblical worship, preaching, and church discipline. After years of protest, prayer and efforts for reform, it became clear that obedience to God required the formation of a new church.
orcurc.org/ORC-History.asp

Others includ the Mar Thoma, the Ukrainian Reformed Orthodox (Lutheran Eastern Rite), and the Ethiopian Tadeshwlo… Eastern expressions, having separately applied the Protestant Reformation.

In my small town there is a St. Athansius “orthodox” church, I went in and it was the strangest church (to be “orthodox” I have ever seen).

To start out there were instruments for a rock band, guitars, keyboards and drums! There was nothing resembling an Iconostas, but there were icons of a sort.

A woman who was there talked like a cross between Pentecostal and Orthodox mainly Pentecostal, she spoke of getting all wrapped up in worship, and censing the Altar, women or even lay Orthodox do not cense the Altar, that is reserved for Bishops Priests Deacons and Subdeacons.

Speaking of bishops they even had their very own “Arch-Bishop” in a town with 10,000 residents, who showed up in a cowboy hat and boots western shirt and jeans, no rassa for him!

Maybe these people consider themselves to be reformed “Orthodox” they made it veru clear to me that they are not greek, or russian or anyother recognisable Orthodox church I ever heard of.

Needless to say I never returned to visit the church, and for sure I did not attend their “Divine Liturgy” to sing rock or country songs with the band.

I’m sure you have heard of “reformed theology”. This is a Calvinist point of view and it’s typically found in the Presbyterian Church. And there is one particular Presbyterian Church that I know of which calls itself “Orthodox Presbyterian”. This church is very conservative (from a Calvinist point of view) and it wishes to distinguish itself from the more liberal versions of Presbyterianism.

O lawd, the archbishop must be the evil version of Peter Gilquist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.