What is "scandalize"

In the bible, we are warned against “scandalizing” someone. Can you put that in plain English, perhaps with some more modern examples so I can understand? Thanks!

From the Catechism:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P80.HTM

II. Respect for the Dignity of Persons

Respect for the souls of others: scandal

2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. the person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor’s tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

2285 Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."85 Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep’s clothing.86

2286 Scandal can be provoked by laws or institutions, by fashion or opinion.

Therefore, they are guilty of scandal who establish laws or social structures leading to the decline of morals and the corruption of religious practice, or to "social conditions that, intentionally or not, make Christian conduct and obedience to the Commandments difficult and practically impossible."87 This is also true of business leaders who make rules encouraging fraud, teachers who provoke their children to anger,88 or manipulators of public opinion who turn it away from moral values.

2287 Anyone who uses the power at his disposal in such a way that it leads others to do wrong becomes guilty of scandal and responsible for the evil that he has directly or indirectly encouraged. "Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!"89

From the old Catholic Encyclopedia:
newadvent.org/cathen/13506d.htm

Not to derail the thread, but this is particularly why its so dangerous for those of us who profess the Catholic Faith to at the same time display moral and/or religious indifference towards gay marriage and homosexual behavior.

Not only does it foster confusion and even disbelief among Catholics with already weak faiths, but it gives gives validity to those who want to commit sin.

I don’t want to get into a discussion about gay marriage and homosexuality, but I do have a comment. My daughter is a lesbian. She wants nothing to do with the church and actually believes that Catholics hate her. I understand that people have to stand up for what they believe, but some do it with such venom that all hope of reaching GLTBs is lost. Would this also be a form of scandalizing?

II. Respect for the Dignity of Persons

Respect for the souls of others: scandal

2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. the person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor’s tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

2285 Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."85 Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep’s clothing.86

2286 Scandal can be provoked by laws or institutions, by fashion or opinion.

Therefore, they are guilty of scandal who establish laws or social structures leading to the decline of morals and the corruption of religious practice, or to "social conditions that, intentionally or not, make Christian conduct and obedience to the Commandments difficult and practically impossible."87 This is also true of business leaders who make rules encouraging fraud, teachers who provoke their children to anger,88 or manipulators of public opinion who turn it away from moral values.

2287 **Anyone who uses the power at his disposal in such a way that it leads others to do wrong becomes guilty of scandal and responsible for the evil that he has directly or indirectly encouraged. **"Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!"89

What if one has been the victim of scandal? What is one’s recourse with the church? Say, a teenager attempting to come back to the church yet finding both clergy and lay people ignoring them, thus causing them to fall away from the church, but not the faith? What if one witnesses let’s say a deacon discouraging someone trying to get ‘right’ with the church and that person never comes back to class?

:yup: : clapping:

I think it is a form of scandalizing. :sad_yes:

Why do you call her a lesbian? Is that her true identity? Is that her identity before God?

I only ask because I don’t accept anyone’s claim to an identity with sin.

(Not equating), I don’t accept someone identifying themselves as “murderer”, or “thief”, or “addict”, or “alcoholic” because that’s not who they are.

Why do we accept these children of God accepting false identities such as “I’m gay” or I’m a lesbian"?

It seems rather that no one in the Church has “judged” them, they have judged themselves.

The Church asks them to repent and accept their true family identity. It seems rather that they just don’t want to.

That’s getting off topic. There are a zillion threads that discuss the issues you raise in your post so leave this thread for the OP’s questions.

I apologize. I won’t say anymore.

Zillion?

zillion (n.) arbitrary coinage with no definite numerical value.

How does it fit into your sentence?

:hmmm::ehh::shrug::blush:

Zillion?

zillion (n.) arbitrary coinage with no definite numerical value.

How does it fit into your sentence?

Seriously?
nitpicking (v.) to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.