What is scientology?

I heard Tom Cruise and Travolta are into that, is it for famous wealthy people? what dot they believe in?

[quote=Asking]I heard Tom Cruise and Travolta are into that, is it for famous wealthy people? what dot they believe in?
[/quote]

It was founded by a science fiction writer named L. Ron Hubbard, apparently as a way to increase his wealth by donations from suckers. He wrote a book called “Dianetics” in which he set forth the principles of Scientology. I haven’t studied it in any great depth, but if I remember correctly it involves some process analogous to psychotherapy in order to become “clear.” Someone who is “clear” supposedly has paranormal mental powers; the only problem with this is that nobody has actually succeeded in becoming “clear.”

Another thing I heard about the Church of Scientology is that it is very difficult to leave it. If a person tries to leave, the church sends a hit squad after him; I heard that Hubbard himself advocated what he called “the Colt 45 treatment” of wayward members. But I would check that out before I repeated it as fact.

• Liberian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.