"What is Scientology?"

Is it against Church teaching to read Dianetics or any other work published by the Church of Scientology?

What exactly is wrong with Scientology? What is the Church’s teaching about it? What things, if any, go against Church teachings?

Can you still be a Catholic and a Scientologist? And yes, that is a possibility.

According to The Scientology Catechism:

“Membership in Scientology does not mean that there is any necessity to leave your church, synagogue, temple, or mosque.”

and

“While Scientology is open to people of all religious denominations and beliefs, it does not attempt or wish to change any man’s beliefs. It is freely available to everyone of whatever race, color, or creed and is disseminated broadly in many different languages. One does not become a Scientology convert because one is not being asked to change beliefs. Persons who wish to leave Scientology may do so freely and may be returned all unused donations.”

Please, in replying to my post, disregard the absurd Tom
Cruise-ish sterotypes of Scientology. If you are going to reply, please make sure you know enough about Scientology in order to make a sensible response.

I know more about Scientology than you think, and if a misconception arises during this discussion, I will most likely clear it up.

Can you explain more about what it is? I know little about it. Would like to no more and would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

:slight_smile:

I’ve briefly read some things on their website, www.scientology.com and what I got out of it is it’s basically a religion that teaches you to find yourself and figure out how to live a good life to the best of your ability. It doesn’t really deal with a strong faith in God but mainly with the concept of trying to be a good person here on Earth. As far as an afterlife goes, I’m not sure what they believe.
Sorry if that didn’t seem like alot of help but your best bet would be to check out their website and see for yourself, if you’re interested in learning.

[quote=Vanus Empty]Is it against Church teaching to read Dianetics or any other work published by the Church of Scientology?
[/quote]

It’s not a crime to learn so no, you should be able to feel free to study other religions.

I erased the rest of your post but as far as “can you be Catholic and be a part of Scientology”? I know it’s possible, on the scientology side of it but Catholicism would never go for it. If you want to know specifically why, there’s some pretty “knowledgeable Catholics” on this site that would throw their two cents in.

It’s based on a science fiction novel by L. Ron Hubbard.

Of course you don’t learn these final secrets until you’ve spent thousands of dollars on “auditings” that release the UFO aliens form your body.

Scientology has tried to protect these “beliefs” as trade secrets and have sued everyone who has dared make them public.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_vs._the_Internet

The Church of Scientology has a huge legal dept. and does not hesitate to use them in defense of their “religion”.

That’s why everytime scientology is discussed on tv programs they are very vague on what they actually believe in.

South Park recently did an episode exposing these "trade secrets"
thesuperficial.com/archives/2006/03/20/south_park_scientology_episode.html

very amusing.
:slight_smile:

There isn’t anything wrong with studying other religions, I agree.

However, Scientology does indeed teach beliefs about the nature of human life and the universe that contradict Catholic teaching.

Paying for “auditing” means you buy that teaching at some level, so it’s in a significant way a rejection of Church teachings.

It’s also a waste of money that could feed some very hungry people.

I guess the price of the book is worth it if you want to learn what they are teaching, but beyond that, every dollar that goes to scientology is a dollar you could spend doing something more fruitful for yourself, like taking your kids to a movie or buying a different book that won’t turn you on to a bizarre space-invaders type theology.

Hubbard and Catholicism

Thanks for reading. :whacky: Xenu babies. :smiley:

Phil P

If you want to get the other side about what Scientology is about go to this site.

xenu.com

[quote=PhilVaz]Hubbard and Catholicism

Thanks for reading. :whacky: Xenu babies. :smiley:

Phil P
[/quote]

That is a good, comparative website.

[quote=Vanus Empty]According to The Scientology Catechism:

“Membership in Scientology does not mean that there is any necessity to leave your church, synagogue, temple, or mosque.”

and

"While Scientology is open to people of all religious denominations and beliefs, it does not attempt or wish to change any man’s beliefs. It is freely available to everyone of whatever race, color, or creed and is disseminated broadly in many different languages."
QUOTE]

Translation: We are willing to take anyone’s money.
[/quote]

I don’t know much about Scientology other than I’ve read on thier website, and opponents websites. I can say with 100% certainty that one can’t be Catholic and a Scientologist at the same time.

I use common sense with religions, if they REQUIRE money to advance in knowledge and enlightenment, it’s probably not the right one.

I thought about it once but our sacriatan who is well versed in all things holy was very much against it, so never pursued it any further

1. It’s pure bunk. 2. It’s pure bunk. 3. Apart from “and” and “the,” pretty much everything.

While Scientology is open to people of all religious denominations and beliefs, it does not attempt or wish to change any man’s beliefs. It is freely available to everyone of whatever race, color, or creed and is disseminated broadly in many different languages. One does not become a Scientology convert because one is not being asked to change beliefs. Persons who wish to leave Scientology may do so freely and may be returned all unused donations."

Attention everybody who buys this: have I got a bridge for you!

Please, in replying to my post, disregard the absurd Tom Cruise-ish sterotypes of Scientology. If you are going to reply, please make sure you know enough about Scientology in order to make a sensible response.

Sorry, but Scientology is stuck with its ambassadors. By their fruits shall ye know them.

I know more about Scientology than you think, and if a misconception arises during this discussion, I will most likely clear it up.

I’m glad you have turned to the Catholic Church as a worthier subject of study.

What is “scientology?” a cult.

Scientology is a religion derived from the pseudo-science writings of a failed science fiction-writer, who was also a section-8 (psychological) discharge (US Navy) who almost started an international incident w/ Mexico during WW2 (he fired on a piece of driftwood claiming it was a japanese sub). He was also extensively involved in the Occult commune of Jack Parsons (co-founder of JPL) and married Parson’s girlfriend. He became very rich and very, very paranoid

Hubbard was a fairly adequate journeyman SF/fantasy writer, before WWII, and, before he got the idea for Dianetics, and then Scientology. And he also did some acceptable pulp type adventure stuff.

But DIANETICS was the funniest thng he wrote.

GKC

Scientology is a religion derived from the pseudo-science writings of a failed science fiction-writer, who was also a section-8 (psychological) discharge (US Navy) who almost started an international incident w/ Mexico during WW2 (he fired on a piece of driftwood claiming it was a japanese sub). He was also extensively involved in the Occult commune of Jack Parsons (co-founder of JPL) and married Parson’s girlfriend. He became very rich and very, very paranoid

It’s pseudoscience at its best…

There is nothing scientific about scientology.

The USA Today newspaper has reported this morning that the Cruiser & Kat are marrying next month in a combo Scientology / Catholic wedding.
The paper explains it as a scientology ceremony with Catholic “things in it” :whacky:
I wonder if Katie’s parents will even show up.
(I know, I know, I wasn’t supposed to link anything TomKat to this but I thought this was interesting)

Final Blackout is considered Lron’s best SF writing. Dianetics used re-cast 1940’s computer jargon mated to psycholocial anyalysis he never gave credit for–what’s known as “ab-reaction psychology”, which is doubly tragi-comic considering Scientology vendetta against any legitimate psychology or psychiatry.

A GREAT period piece of writing (early 50’s) about the transition period of Dianetics into Scientology is Martin Gardner’s In the Name of Science–an entire chapter is dedicated to Dianetics of the time, though the true weirdness & occultism had yet to be exposed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.