What is she wearing?

Hey guys

I have read here and elsewhere of people believing that a woman who covers her body and hair (a muslim woman’s way of dressing) indicates that she is oppressed. So, in light of that, scroll up, there is a picture on the left hand side of your screen…what do you think of this woman?

[quote=Faith101]Hey guys

I have read here and elsewhere of people believing that a woman who covers her body and hair (a muslim woman’s way of dressing) indicates that she is oppressed. So, in light of that, scroll up, there is a picture on the left hand side of your screen…what do you think of this woman?
[/quote]

I respect the woman that choose to cover themselves and I don’t think that is weird or indicative of being oppressed. I am more suspect of the fact that they usually can’t vote, drive, own property, ask for a divorce, or enjoy many other important freedoms that the men have.

[quote=Fitz] I am more suspect of the fact that they usually can’t vote, drive, own property, ask for a divorce, or enjoy many other important freedoms that the men have.
[/quote]

Please do not mix culture with religion.

Under islamic law, women can vote, own property, ask for a divorce (all of this hundreds of years before any other women). As for driving, there were no cars back then, but the women used to go fight in wars (probably on horses/camels) and were involved in every aspect of society. If you want to talk about women’s rights in islam, open another thread

I want to leave this one just to discuss the dress code. Thanks!

[quote=Faith101]Hey guys

[/quote]

I never had a problem with covering the hair with a veil. Not wearing a hijab, I feel that I cannot participate since I am a male Catholic, whilst females have that special allowance to cover their heads.

I do not understand though why the need to cover everything else except the eyes. Any more covering of the face other than a hijab slightly deters me, but that is my view.

[quote=silverwings_88]I never had a problem with covering the hair with a veil. Not wearing a hijab, I feel that I cannot participate since I am a male Catholic, whilst females have that special allowance to cover their heads. .
[/quote]

If only more people think like you :thumbsup:

****I do not understand though why the need to cover everything else except the eyes. Any more covering of the face other than a hijab slightly deters me, but that is my view.

The covering of the face is something that I believe is voluntary in Islam…and i have to admit…i highly respect any woman who does that, it takes a LOT of strength especially in this country. It is their decision, to cover whatever they want to keep private

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Well, Catholic women choose to wear a veil in church, especially before the blessed sacrament. When Catholic women wear their veils, I simply become more contented and happy, and I am upset that since I attend the NO mass, I have only seen two women wear a veil, and two others wearing old hats, and all four are elderly women.

Even Mama Mary wore a veil!! If only I could attend a TLM…

“Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered disgraceth his head.
****But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered disgraceth her head:”

1 Corinthians 11:4-5

[quote=Faith101]I have read here and elsewhere of people believing that a woman who covers her body and hair (a muslim woman’s way of dressing) indicates that she is oppressed.
[/quote]

From CBS News :
“Under Taliban rule, women have been banned from work and education and forbidden to appear in public except under the suffocating shroud of the burqa. Women have been imprisoned for showing their faces . . . Animals have more rights than women in Afghanistan,” says Tahmeena Fayral, who is in the United States to talk to Americans about the plight of Afghan women."It would certainly seem that a system that forces the veil/hijab/burqa through cruelty would qualify as oppressive.

Your question fails to make a distinction between a freely-made choice and an enforced “choice.”

[quote=Faith101]So, in light of that, scroll up, there is a picture on the left hand side of your screen…what do you think of this woman?
[/quote]

She’s wonderful! :love:

What problem any one could have if someone according to her choice decides to cover her body by immitating, Most Pious Saintly woman, Mary (pbuh) ?

What harm is done to anyone if she according to her God-given freedom/right loves to enjoy it ?

By wearing veil/Hijab is she voilating others rights?

Modesty should be encouraged in christian women. Displaying themselves makes objects of them.

[quote=True-Jesus]What problem any one could have if someone according to her choice decides to cover her body by immitating, Most Pious Saintly woman, Mary (pbuh) ?

What harm is done to anyone if she according to her God-given freedom/right loves to enjoy it ?

By wearing veil/Hijab is she voilating others rights?
[/quote]

Catholics aren’t against women wearing veils and covering there head.

can’t women where whatever the hell they want without being labled or thought of differently!

Gosh why do women need to wear a head covering in mass or in the street? I don’t want to wear a stupid rag on my head! :mad:

Why does God worry about head coverings? boo hoo I’m not wearing a head covering its the end of the world!

Evanescence (angry as usual)

Sorry if my last post offended anyone in anyway, I’m just against sexism and women getting told what to wear.

I think people have the right to wear whatever they want (as long as its not your birthday suit) to show who they are and what they like. Some people might wear a black dressy outfit with heavy eyeliner while others like jeans and a bright red top.
so what why can’t women where what they want? i don’t like it when women are forced to cover up every inch of her body and has to wear a cage on her head!

If people like head coverings then go ahead wear it! its what they like, they feel comftable with it so go ahead, if you rather not then don’t!

please no more fashon tips from religion and government PLEASE!!!

Evanescence

[quote=Faith101]Hey guys

I have read here and elsewhere of people believing that a woman who covers her body and hair (a muslim woman’s way of dressing) indicates that she is oppressed…scroll up, there is a picture on the left hand side of your screen…
[/quote]

The picture you refer to is Mary with the child Jesus. She is not dressed in “a muslim woman’s way of dressing”, but in an artist’s depiction of a first century jewish woman’s way of dressing, as Mary lived several hundred years before the beginning of Islam. As for those who might believe that this manner of dress indicates oppresion, well, you might find some people who do believe that. This belief, however, does not seem to be supported either by an analysys of women known to be oppressed in various ways, who wear much the same sorts of clothing as other women within their social groups; or by an analysys of women who are known to wear clothing that covers the majority of their bodies, who comprise both women known to be oppressed and women known not to be oppressed. In any case, even were such a relationship between clothing and oppression able to be positively demonstrated, the most we might be able to infer from this picture would be the artist’s opinion of Mary, presuming that the artist was aware of this relationship and was attempting to communicate his or her opinions through this picture.

[quote=Faith101]…So, in light of that…what do you think of this woman?
[/quote]

As the hypothesis you have proposed seems not to hold true, there is no different “light” under which to consider my opinion of Mary.

[quote=Faith101]Please do not mix culture with religion.

Under islamic law, women can vote, own property, ask for a divorce (all of this hundreds of years before any other women). As for driving, there were no cars back then, but the women used to go fight in wars (probably on horses/camels) and were involved in every aspect of society. If you want to talk about women’s rights in islam, open another thread

I want to leave this one just to discuss the dress code. Thanks!
[/quote]

Don’t you see? If the women have freedom then they would not all cover themselves. A dress code that said that women needed to dress modestly would really be against the law in most of the modern world. If they were allowed the freedoms that you say are not forbidden under Islamic law ( but many Muslim countries do forbid them), then there would be a range of dress within some of the countries in which they live.

As far as no cars being allowed back then as you say, I can only say that I am reffering to the present and I don’t understand what you are saying.

Hello,

100 years ago in England, a women who displayed more then her ankles would have been considered loose and of low morale character. Today, a women who wears a bikini to the shopping mall would also be considered loose and of low morale character.

Do you notice the degradation of morale behaviour as time progresses? What happens 100 years from now? At that point, walking around naked will be normal, I’m guessing.

Muslims rely on Gods definition on what is considered moral dressing. We dont use human interpretation. In Islam, a man must cover from his knees to his navel, a women must cover from her ankles to her face (including her hair). This is Gods will. There is no oppression in this, unless you consider God an oppressor.

Munawar

I have always admired muslim women in America who choose to wear something distinctive as a head covering. It takes courage in our culture to stand out. I don’t think that it is the dress itself that oppresses women.

Female prostitutes are certainly oppressed by males but their dress is not modest. It is not the style of dress, or choosing to follow a religious rule that makes something oppressive. It is the lack of that choice. SO in those muslim countries, where women are forced by law to wear a hijab, I would say that those women are oppressed. In this country the same hijab would not be oppressive because there is no law forcing a woman to wear one.

As far as Mary, I would imagine that dress is a matter of choice based on her morals. As long as choice is involved it is not oppressive.

[quote=Evanescence]Sorry if my last post offended anyone in anyway, I’m just against sexism and women getting told what to wear.

I think people have the right to wear whatever they want (as long as its not your birthday suit) to show who they are and what they like. Some people might wear a black dressy outfit with heavy eyeliner while others like jeans and a bright red top.
so what why can’t women where what they want? i don’t like it when women are forced to cover up every inch of her body and has to wear a cage on her head!

If people like head coverings then go ahead wear it! its what they like, they feel comftable with it so go ahead, if you rather not then don’t!

please no more fashon tips from religion and government PLEASE!!!

Evanescence
[/quote]

Hey Evanescence

THe idea is that if you say “let everyone wear what they want” you can not follow that by saying “as long as they are not naked” b/c you have restricted their freedom.

The idea in Islam is that society changes, what is appalled 50 years ago is seen as the norm now…what is appalling now will seem like the norm 50 years from now. If i go to a nude beach, being naked is ok…if i’m in Church, being naked is highly offensive…so you see, you are depending on what society tells you…how do you know this is correct?

In Islam, we recieve this guidance from God, who better than our own Creator to tell us what is best for us

In terms of being forced…look at the muslim women in this country, not forced…but CHOOSE to cover. I’ve recieved some amazing insight from women converts to Islam who tell me that “covering up” is the best thing they have ever done for themselves

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]The picture you refer to is Mary with the child Jesus. She is not dressed in “a muslim woman’s way of dressing”, but in an artist’s depiction of a first century jewish woman’s way of dressing, as Mary lived several hundred years before the beginning of Islam. As for those who might believe that this manner of dress indicates oppresion, well, you might find some people who do believe that. This belief, however, does not seem to be supported either by an analysys of women known to be oppressed in various ways, who wear much the same sorts of clothing as other women within their social groups; or by an analysys of women who are known to wear clothing that covers the majority of their bodies, who comprise both women known to be oppressed and women known not to be oppressed. In any case, even were such a relationship between clothing and oppression able to be positively demonstrated, the most we might be able to infer from this picture would be the artist’s opinion of Mary, presuming that the artist was aware of this relationship and was attempting to communicate his or her opinions through this picture.QUOTE]

Sometimes I think if Jesus (peace be upon him) and Mary would come on this earth right now in physical form and walk down a street in the midwest, they would both be harrassed. Probably someone would scream at them “muslim terrorist!” think about it…Jesus with a beard, Mary with a head covering.

If mary did not dress like this, do you believe that she dressed like the modern day Christian …? What type of dress do you think is appropriate for this great woman to be wearing in public.
[/quote]

Frankly, I think American women way underdress, purposely exposing themseves. I guess that knowing men are visual, they are trying to be noticed. As a man, I notice! Of course, sometimes I notice too well necessitating a trip to my confessor!

Love,
Bob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.