What is sinful arrogance that bible speaks of?

1 Samuel 2:3 :Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed

Is arrogance out of our mouths sarcasm also? What about when someone asks you something and you reply you didn’t know that, in an arrogant way? Or is sinful arrogance only the belief of being higher than others, even God?

Sounds like it is referring to self-righteousness .

I would think it refers to anything that indicates feeling oneself to be better than another. Consider the story of the Pharisee amd the tax collecter. The Pharisee thanked God for making him better than the tax collecter and told God how great he himself was. Bit the tax collecter sat in the back and just asked God to have mercy on him, a sinner.

If you are kidding around with a friend and are sarcastic about things with him, that does not necessarily indicate arrogance, sometimes that’s how people relate to each other, in a kidding sort of way, no? So your example may be a way of acting *or *a sign or arrogance (or both!); one just needs to look inside oneself, asking for God’s help in seeing one’s self clearly. Pride (arrogance) can be hard to detect in oneself.

Sarcasm is my first language… :wink:

However, I have to be careful with it, I have learned. I have to be sure it isn’t belittling someone else, or humor at their expense.

I never really had thought of sarcasm as ‘wrong’ but after returning to the Faith, I haven’t really thought of it as ‘right’. I’ve censored myself a lot and it feels better. It feels better NOT to be sarcastic than to receive the positive feedback from people who tell me I’m ‘funny’.

You say arrogance is thinking that you are better than the other, but what if someone for example is very slim and you are bigger than him(in terms of muscles) and you make a true statement in your mind that you are more musculy than him and therefore you think that you are better than him in terms of muscle. You are not “full of yourself” you just say something that is true and then maybe you are happy about it. Is that arrogance?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.