What is the advantage of the Catholic?

The Jewish religion was validly established by God. But in the fullness of time, the Old Covenant wore out:
Hebrews 8:13
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

And therefore, the Jews were expected to transfer their allegiance, so to speak, from Moses to Jesus:
Romans 7:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
2For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

But many of them did not do so. They are not, in my opinion, therefore condemned:
Acts 10:33-35
King James Version (KJV)
33Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

34Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

And although the Old Covenant is fading away, the Law of the Commandments remains the foundation of our joint faiths:
Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

What advantage then is the Christians?
Romans 3

1What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision? 2Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
3For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?

Yes, it is true that the Jews were first committed the Scriptures and the Word of God. However, in the New Covenant, we are given the Sacraments. Justification by faith without works. We are entitled, by God, to enter heaven itself, being members of the Body of Christ:
Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

That, in a nutshell, is the GOOD NEWS. We, being baptized, become children of God and walk with the Saints of God:

Hebrews 12:22-24
King James Version (KJV)
22But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Whereas they, the Jews and all other religions, have to await the Final Judgment before they will be permitted into the Kingdom, if God so wills.

Sincerely,

De Maria

please discuss with a PRIEST. you asked many questions and fron what I see what you need is not just answers to the questions but a dialogue to help you understand the Catholic faith and pedagogy of the salvific mission of Christ.
mind it that religion transcends human reason … we build on faith. reason is human fruit; faith is a divine fruit.

First of all, as Catholics, we need to quote Catholic scripture. It’s my understanding the King James Version is a Protestant Bible.

We have an advantage believing in Christ. Christ said that nobody would go to God but through him. Christ also said to eat his flesh and drink his blood, that those who did not eat his flesh or drink his blood would have no life.

We have a distinct advantage, baptism, for one. That helps us get closer to God. Catholics have the advantage of all 7 sacraments that Christ gave us.

It’s difficult to get to heaven. It’s even more difficult without the sacraments and Christ, as our mediator.

Lol! I guess you must be new to CA. The question I asked is for discussion.

you asked many questions and fron what I see what you need is not just answers to the questions but a dialogue to help you understand the Catholic faith and pedagogy of the salvific mission of Christ.

Please address the topic. DO YOU know what is the advantage of being a Catholic? Do you know the Scriptures which tell you why you should be a Catholic?

mind it that religion transcends human reason … we build on faith. reason is human fruit; faith is a divine fruit

Faith and reason do not contradict. God wants us to understand:

Hosea 4:6
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

1 Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

You must also be new to CA. CA is here for Catholics, but also for nonCatholics.

we need to quote Catholic scripture.

I agree that Catholic Scripture is the best, but Protestants frequently object to the exclusive quoting of Catholic Scripture.

It’s my understanding the King James Version is a Protestant Bible.

Yes, it is. It is in fact, the one which most of them prefer. I’m not here to address Catholics exclusively. I also want to talk to the Protestants or anyone else on the board.

We have an advantage believing in Christ. Christ said that nobody would go to God but through him. Christ also said to eat his flesh and drink his blood, that those who did not eat his flesh or drink his blood would have no life.

If you are saying that only those who believe in Christ will be saved, you are contradicting Catholic Doctrine. The Catholic Church teaches that God is the judge and the giver of salvation. The Catechism says:

***Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

836 "All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God’s grace to salvation."320***

We have a distinct advantage, baptism, for one. That helps us get closer to God. Catholics have the advantage of all 7 sacraments that Christ gave us.

Exactly!

It’s difficult to get to heaven. It’s even more difficult without the sacraments and Christ, as our mediator.

That is the point. The Sacraments are our advantage. With the Sacraments, we are made to walk upon Mt. Sion in this life:

Hebrews 12:22-24
King James Version (KJV)
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Have you noticed yet, that even the Protestant bibles support Catholic Doctrine?

Sincerely,

De Maria

I would say contending that our advantage as Catholics is the seven sacraments is not a good platform to base an attempt to prove that the Catholic Church is the correct one as other Churches are viewed by our own Church as possessing all seven sacraments in a valid form.

I’m comparing the Catholic Church to Judaism and the Protestant religions. As well as other non-Christian religions.

However, the Catholic Church teaches that the Orthodox faiths are the other lung of the Church. All the ancient rites share in the advantage of the Catholic Church because they share in the sacraments and the Eucharist.

CCC 838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist."324

Indeed. my spouse is Orthodox and she would point out that many Orthodox would say this decision is ultimately irrelevant to them and that they do not speculate about the validity of sacraments outside of Orthodoxy. From your post above ultimately it would seem then that you must view their been some other factor that validates our Church besides the seven sacraments.

It doesn’t really matter what your spouse says nor what the Orthodox speculate about. The Catholic Church is the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth. It is from the Catholic Church that the Orthodox received the Sacraments. If it wasn’t for the Catholic Church, they would have no Sacraments.

From your post above ultimately it would seem then that you must view their been some other factor that validates our Church besides the seven sacraments.

No. From my post, it is the Seven Sacraments established by Jesus Christ which are the advantage of the Catholic to all other human beings. All others must stand before the throne of Christ on the last day, in order to be judged whether they will walk with the Saints.

But, we, in the Catholic Church, walk with the Saints when we receive the Sacraments:

Hebrews 12:21-24
King James Version (KJV)
21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

THAT is the difference. If you can point to another, show me.

So on one hand you quote a well known passage which is quite charitable from the Catechism which outlines the Church’s view of the Orthodox and then you leap to insulting them. I’ve found this kind of sneering at the Orthodox to be quite common at times on the forum and it’s one reason I’ve cut back on my usage of the forums over the last few months.

Remain on the topic please.

Where is the insult? I am simply stating the truth. If the truth bothers you, that is your problem.

The Catholic Church is the Church which Jesus Christ built. The Orthodox split from the Catholic Church. Without the Catholic Church, there would be no orthodoxy, no Sacraments. Period.

and it’s one reason I’ve cut back on my usage of the forums over the last few months.

Sorry to hear that. But we are not to stop proclaiming the truth simply because some people don’t like it.

The advantage of the Catholic (and the other ancient Sacramental churches like the Syriac and the Orthodox) over everyone else in the world, are the Sacraments, by which we are saved in this life, if we keep the Commandments of God.

This is why it is true, that we are saved in Baptism. As the Scripture says:
Mark 16:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.