What is the appropriate sized donation for our priest?

My wife and I are getting married tomorrow. We were originally married in Maui, 8 years ago tomorrow. Since my wife has since gone through RCIA and become Catholic, we are now really getting married. :smiley:

Anyhow, there is no charge for the use of the Church as it’s a very small service with no mass.

I assume that, just as when my kids and my wife were baptised, I should present the our priest with a thank-you card and a cash donation. Could someone give me an idea on an appropriate amount and should I give cash or is a check ok?

Congratulations! :smiley:

The presentation is entirely up to you. You could, perhaps, give him a $25 stipend in a nice card. The cash or check option is up to you. My cousin is having a full-blown wedding Mass in about three weeks. My parochial vicar is going to celebrate the Mass. In her case, I suggested $75, but, the circumstances are entirely different.

God bless you!

Congratulations on your wedding. About time you married that girl :smiley: It has been 22 years since my wife and I gave Father a thank-you donation for performing a wedding (praise Jesus!) so I am in no position to suggest an amount. My thought though, is that you may be able to call the Rectory and speak to the parish secretary who could be able to give you some guidance on suggested amounts or other ideas (i.e. we have a Priest friend who is in a religious order and he would prefer a sweater or a sleeve of golf balls to a cash honorium).

I think a general rule of thumb is whatever you can reasonably afford. When my hubby and I were married–nuptual Mass—we were determined to pay the priest more than we did the florist. He made out pretty well that day. :smiley:

For baptisms and one graveside service, we paid about $100 each time, but we hadn’t been budgeting for those things for such a long time either. It was what we could afford at the time.

Don’t let this scare you, though. I’ve heard most stipends are more modest, and that’s okay. I don’t think the priest is expecting to retire on what you give him. It’s more the gesture, than the gift itself, I think.

I suggest you and your wife talk about it, pray about it and decide what it is worth to you. Our priests aren’t paid that well and what they get helps with personal expenses and taxes they have to pay themselves.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.