What is the appropriate thing to do if you can't kneel at Mass?

I have a 3-month-old baby that we bring to Mass with us every Sunday. I am generally the one who is holding him, and it is difficult to kneel with him in my arms. Besides the lack of space, I worry about him knocking his head into the pew in front of me. The last couple of times we went to Mass, instead of kneeling I remained seated, but I moved up to sit on the front edge of the pew to try to get as close to a kneeling position as possible. I don’t want to appear to be disrespectful, so I wondered if this is considered acceptable or if there is something else I should be doing instead.

If you have a carrier for the baby that is possible to position safely in the pew, you could lay the baby in his carrier. Otherwise, don’t worry about it. As long as you are sitting quietly and acting respectfully, it is no one’s business whether or not you kneel. It is possible for people to have all sorts of legitimate and just reasons why they can’t kneel. As a matter of fact, I usually don’t kneel at Mass in my parish because the kneelers are unstable and I have a bad back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.