What is the approved English (usa) version of the Gloria Patri?

I am assisting a local religious community with a rewriting of their English language prayer book. There is some confusion as to which English version of the Gloria Patri is the approved and accepted version for use in the USA? (Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen. - or- Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, World without end. Amen) This may seem to be a rather simplistic issue to some, but it seems to be a real bother to some in this community. Thanks

The English translation of the Liturgy of the Hours approved for use in the USA uses this one:

I am not aware of any other use of the prayer requiring an approved translation.

:twocents:
tee

Is there going to be a new “approved” version of the Liturgy of the Hours in addition to the improved/approved language of the Mass. If so, will the “Gloria Patri” remain the same, change back, or be revised once again?

Most likely there will be; in fact, preliminary work had already begun on this when the new English mass translation took the forefront and pushed the LOTH to the backburner. Impossible to know at this point what will be done with the Gloria Patri.

Agreed. Devotional prayers generally are not regulated in the way that the official liturgical prayers are.

also not aware of an official version. i was taught – ever shall be.

In light of the fact that we’re moving towards more precise translations, it seems as if there should be a better translation for “in saecula saeculorum” than what we’ve accepted as “world without end” or “will be forever.” In Polish it’s “through all ages of ages” so why not the English?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.