What is the area in the church called that has a statue and candles?

I feel a bit silly about asking this but,

Inside the church, we have the white candles that can be lit, an area for donations, and a statue of Mary. What is this area for and what is it called?

I know this is one of those things I should know, but I don’t.:o

It’s commonly called a “devotional area”. Often the statue is recessed in a niche or alcove. The purpose of this area is to honor and show devotion to the saint represented.

“The beauty of the images moves me to contemplation, as a meadow delights the eyes and subtly infuses the soul with the glory of God.” St. John Damascene

The votive candles (“votive” is derived from the Latin word “votivus”, from “votum”, which means “vow”) represent our prayers of intention, thanksgiving, or to “show devotion to the things vowed to God or the saints in some trouble or crisis of life…or to things presented in gratitude for a recovery or deliverance without having been previously promised.”
Votive Offerings

%between%**Further reading:
*Catechism of the Catholic Church * sections 1161-1162, 2502

Shedding Light on Votive Candles

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.