What is the benefit of praying for something over and over again?

**For example, if I were to ask God for an increase in faith, what would be the benefit of praying for it over and over again - day after day? On one side, it seems to be selfish, but on the other, it seems to show God our sincerity of our wants and needs.

God knows if we truly need something - such as an increase in faith. He’ll know when we’re sincere or not. Is once good enough? Or should we continue to pray until we “get” it?

What’s the essence of praying for something over and again? **

The essence of praying for something such as this is the result of accepting the Graces that God is given you to ask for this in the first place!!!

In other words, pray with confidence for all the faith that your little soul can handle - and you’ll find that there is no limit!

And, no, you are not being selfish for asking for more Faith. You are asking for one of the things that God wishes you to have.

Thanks!**

There is a parable in the bible about a women who kept coming to the king asking for the same thing over and over. The king thought to himself that if he didn’t grant her wish she would continue to come. So he granted her request. Christ asked the same prayer three times, that this cup be taken away. The bible makes it clear to pray continuosly. Sorry, I don’t know exactly where that parable is. In one of the gospels.

In a way it’s even slightly presumptious to pray for something even once since it would seem to go against God’s omniscience - Jesus tells us that God knows what we need before we even ask. However, we pray for our sakes not God’s sake. God wants us to approach him with our needs; he wants us to learn to trust in him. Therefore God tells us to ask for what we need.

To me, this type of prayer helps to reinforce that “we need God”. When we stop asking for these things is when we start to depend on ourselves, and very dangerous thing to do in regards to one’s salvation.

IMHO prayer is mainly for our benefit. After all God knows what’s best for us and He knows that He knows it, so begging him to do things our way is a little inappropriate don’t u think? (We still try though :smiley: )
Anyway, prayer opens us up to the Holy Spirit. The Bible tells us that when we pray the Spirit in us prays with us (don’t ask me for chapter and verse cause I forgot :smiley: ) So through this opening up God talks to us and changes us from inside out. So if God thinks our prayers are inappropriate, He’ll change them for us.
Therefore continue to pray- we have no idea what God is doing to us through our prayers. Just trust that it is 100% good 4 us!

You pray for it once. Faith is not believing that God can, it is knowing that He will. Once you pray for it, then instead of praying for it over and over, you start thanking him for it. Even though it hasn’t come about yet, just believe that He will. Then you wait. God has His own perfect timing, not our timing.

This seems to ignore ricko’s post regarding Jesus and one of His parables:

[quote=ricko]here is a parable in the bible about a women who kept coming to the king asking for the same thing over and over. The king thought to himself that if he didn’t grant her wish she would continue to come. So he granted her request. Christ asked the same prayer three times, that this cup be taken away. The bible makes it clear to pray continuosly.
[/quote]

So there seem to be many opinions.

Who am I to question God’s will? BUT… If it is indeed God - the Holy Sprit - working through us when we pray, and God knows what we will pray for before we pray, than why does he lead us to pray for something so many times?

It seems that helps to show us Who we are to depend on. For when we depend on our own selves, we fall.

God does things like this to teach lessons. As in Exodus, after Calf-Gate, God said He would destroy Israel. God didn’t mean that, He just wanted to show Moses that Israel needed Moses’ intercessions on her behalf.

Maybe an analogy will help: I love my son. He asks me for something. I may say “no” or “not now” because in my greater wisdom than his, I know it is not good for his request to me to be fulfilled. He continues to ask me to reinforce in himself that he still truly wants what he asked for before and because one day he may be wise enough to understand why I said “yes” or why I continue to say “no”. Either way, this continuous communication is for his benefit, not mine.

Now, I am the son and God is Abba. In his wisdom, he does not grant my request right at this moment. My continued prayer keeps me focused on Him until I understand what I truly want or why or why it is really not good for me to have it.

I was taught that the literal translation of, “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened…” (Matthew 7:7) is "Keep on asking, keep on seeking, keep on knocking…" There is an implied persistence in the words that Jesus spoke. Why? Perhaps because many things will only come to us through time, and as a result of our faithfulness to prayer, which is God’s desire. He has made a way for his children to receive many gifts, and that way is through prayer. It does not change God; it changes US.

Did you ever consider the hour Christ Jesus spent in the Garden at Gethsemane, before he was seized? His words to the Apostles were, “You should have been awake and praying not to be put to the test.” Have you ever experienced praying for an entire hour for one single purpose? It is very different from the quick hello-goodbye request that we too often submit to God in haste. One has to plunge into the depths of prayer to be able to really cry out to God, and it is a mark of our faithfulness to him if we are willing to pour our body, mind, and soul into our requests, time after time, with earnest. He rewards this perseverence with his many graces and mercies, and sometimes the direct answer to our prayers … sometimes, something even better. :slight_smile:

Not only that, but you feel a sense of closeness to God - I don’t know how to say it, but you are more aware that you are praying for God’s Will to be done, whatever that Will is.

This is a great example of the beauty of the catholic faith. I would like to see much more of these threads. The depth of catholic spirituallity is so great that I think that those of others faiths could maybe understand us more with these types of questions and answers.

Prayer is so important. I wonder the amount of times that Jesus mentions prayer in the Scriptures. He sure spent alot of time doing just that as an expample for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.