What is the best Daily Missal to use for the Traditional Latin Mass?

I’d be curious to know how the Lectionary used by traditionalist (Continuing) Anglican groups like the APCK compares, and if it differs from the Episcopalians.

thread muted

@GKMotley

10 characters

Yeah, he’d know if anybody here would. Funny, even in my time as a trad Anglican lay reader and preacher, I never thought to compare calendars.

To be frank, this is bad advice. If someone is rather new to the E.F. buying a second hand outdated missal is a horrible idea. The missal will be missing propers, all of Holy Week will be a mess, and its much more likely to add to their confusion than if they were to just sit in Mass without any missal whatsoever.

This is the standard advice I give to people looking for TLM missals:

1. If you’re brand spanking new to the E.F., don’t buy a missal! Not even a used one. Chances are the parish you’re attending the E.F. at will have mass booklets for the ordinary of the Mass for you to use that stay at the church, and printed handouts for the propers. They’ll likely do this even for a special liturgy like a Nuptial Mass, Requiem, Baptism, Votive Mass, etc. Stick with these until you’re certain that you have an attachment to the older form, and have a basic understanding of the structure of the E.F. liturgy. Then, and only then, start looking at investing in a missal.

2. If you’ve been to the E.F. a number of times, have started to get a rough idea of the structure of the liturgy, and are sure you’ll continue assisting at this Mass, consider either a Sunday missal or a daily missal based on your frequency of attendance, and only consider those for the 1962 liturgy, as this is the only one approved by Rome (right now, July 2018) for celebration, particular indults like the current one for the pre-1955 Holy Week during the next two years notwithstanding. Any missal from before 1962 will be missing particular saints’ days, the classification of feasts will be different (e.g. “Semi-duplex” vs. “2nd Class Feast”), and as I mentioned Holy Week will be so different that you’ll just get frustrated and close the missal anyway.

3. Once you become a real aficionado and have learned the history of the development of the older form, understand the differences between the 1911 Divinu Afflatu, 1955 Holy Week reforms, and finally the Johannine 1962 liturgy, then you can start looking for those pre-62 collectable missals for whatever reason you desire.

[Continued…]

[… Continued]

In terms of 1962 daily missals, You could try looking for second hand ones online, but they’re very hard to find and in some cases, depending on their quality, can be more expensive than a newly published one. Brand new ones run for about $60-$70 and the two main publishers in English are Angelus Press (of the SSPX) and Baronius Press (of the FSSP).

I own the Baronius Press '62 Daily Missal and I regret not purchasing the Angelus Press '62 Daily Missal, for a few reasons:

• The Baronius Press is British-centric while the Angelus Press is American-centric. The distinctions are small but you’ll quickly notice them as you use it more frequently. The wording for various prayers in English (like the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel) is significantly different than what we’re used to saying here in the US. The English translation itself is quite different, but you’ll likely to only notice that when and if the priest reads the translation before his homily and he just so happens to use the opposite hand missal than you.

• The formatting of the Baronius Press is rather cluttered compared to that of the Angelus Press and, again, depending on how comfortable you are with the liturgy to begin with this may impede your ability to follow along. It caused problems for me at first but now I don’t even follow along with the ordinary of the Mass since I have it memorized. My missal is pretty much used strictly as a source for the propers and a paper weight! LOL

• The Baronius Press is thicker in dimensions than the Angelus Press, it’s page gilding is flakier than that of the Angelus Press, and its binding is less flexible than that of the Angelus Press. One redeeming feature of the Baronius Press compared to the Angelus Press missal is that the former has one more ribbon than the latter (6 vs. 5).

• The Angelus Press’ commentary is more extensive than that of the Baronius Press and is placed in the margins rather than in the main body of the liturgical texts. This makes following along much easier since you don’t have to skim through a bunch of unnecessary commentary to get to the next part of the liturgy. Once you become really familiar with it you can just ignore the margins entirely (this adds to the issue of formatting I mentioned above).

Now I’ll give the Baronius Press this:

1. It’s much more extensive than the Angelus Press, and includes many other services that the Angelus Press does not (Churching of Women, Blessing of Tables and other sacerdotal blessings, etc.)
  2. You have the added benefit of supporting a publishing arm that is not involved with a society that has canonical issues with Rome. This may or may not be an issue for you personally. I’ll admit this weighed heavily on my decision to go with Baronius of Angelus because at the time I didn’t want to support an organization I (incorrectly) thought was “schismatic”. YMMV

If you have any other questions, I’ll be happy to help. :slight_smile:

One minor correction, the Angelus Press missal actually does have the Churching of Women in it, along with the blessing of holy water and other foods! :smile:

Oooh! That’s a pleasant addition then since the last time I checked it out! Thanks! All the more reason to regret my purchase! haha

I keep getting these challenges. Serves me right for my omniscient persona.

It depends. When I was a part of APCK, I never saw anything other than the lectionary as per the 1928 BCP. But I don’t know if that was universal. Continuing Anglicans tend to be both conservative, and sort of independent minded. It might be a parish level choice. But the fact remains, I have never seen any lectionary other than the 28 book, in my parish, or any other, to my memory. It would be a rare parish/Continuing jurisdiction that used a different book and a rare sage who dared predict that none did.

So, I don’t know. As to Episcopalians, I don’t know either. I’ve not been in an Episcopalian service since 1968, save for a wedding and a funeral (not the same individual involved).

You just reminded me, I may still gave a red Anglican missal. Have to check, see if there’s a lectionary in it.

I don’t think there is. But advise.

I would recommend buying the 1945 St. Andrew’s Daily Missal since it has the pre -55 Holy Week revisions and numerous features including propers for feasts in the USA and the Benedictines along with the form of sacraments in Latin. The next on my list is the Angelus Press 1962 missal which has the 55 Holy Week and updated calendar of saints (not many saints were added, but more were removed in this missal).

I did just skim through my People’s Anglican Missal. Pretty extensive schedule of feast days, etc. And Before and After Mass Prayers, which are wonderful.

What is the best Daily Missal to use for the Traditional Latin Mass?

Baronius

Do not go for Angelus because they’re SSPX and weird.

I dug out mine. No formal lectionary I could find.

Thank you so much for all of your information! I’ll be sure to let you know if I’ve got any questions.

No. It has other resources not found in the '28 though yes?
Curiously, I’ve never actually done a side by side to see if the Collects are the same.
Can’t seem to locate the 39 Articles anywhere in the Missal. Did they forget? :wink:

If a diocesan bookstore sells the Angelus '62, you’re probably fine to purchase and use it. You won’t suddenly split in half. :wink:

Angelus is SSPX?

Many resources not in the 28.

The Articles are not of as much interest to Anglo-Catholics. And not necessarily normative for Anglicans, generally, save (technically) for clergy of the CoE, per the Parliamentary Act of Subscription (1571).

Sadly yes, it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.