What is the Biblical evidence that we should pray to the Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit?

As Catholic’s, we absolutely do pray to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Anytime anyone prays to “God” they do so, as He is Three Persons. But I’d like to know more about the scriptural basis for praying to all three persons.

A previous 2013 thread titled, [“To who should we pray to, the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit or the trinitarian God?”](“o who should we pray to, the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit or the trinitarian God?”) dealt with praying to the Trinity but did not directly address the scriptural basis of doing so.

Well, in Matthew 28, Jesus commands the disciples to go forth and baptize in the name of all three.

John 14:14 - Jesus said, “If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”

Acts 7:59 - "And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ "

Revelation 22:20 - “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.”

1 Cor. 16:22 - “If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed! Come, Lord!”

In addition to what previous posters have said, here are some references to prayer specifically addressed to the Father:
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)

Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (Matthew 6:9)

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11)

And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. (Luke 11:2)

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)

In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, he will give it to you in my name. (John 16:23)

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with might through his Spirit in the inner man… (Ephesians 3:14-16)

Isn’t it sort of an act involving all three, but in different manners?

We are prompted to pray by the Holy Spirit (who dwells within us and changes our hearts), through Jesus (who mediates and sanctifies our sinful prayers and unworthiness), to God the Father (who judges with both justice and authority and hears our prayer).

I wasn’t sure which one we should pray to either so He told me that they are one in the same, He told me that “I are we and we are three” so when you are praying to one, you are also praying to the other for the Son lives in the Father and the Father lives in the Son.

They are one in the same, they are in complete and total agreement always so it doesn’t matter. What one knows, the other knows automatically. Jesus is the perfect representation of everything the Father is, perfectly loving, compassionate, mercy-full, kind, generous and gentle beyond comprehension.

When Jesus hears your prayers, the Father also hears and answers.

Christian practice is not entirely delineated within scripture. The scriptures are a compendium of revelation, but not a complete catalogue (nor an expression of complete understanding) of that revelation. Granted, the faith was “once for all delivered to the Saints” - but not all of that faith was written.

In the New Testament are hints that God is Trinitarian, but they are not explicit - thus the Mormons, JWs and Oneness Pentecostals base their denial of the Trinity on the content (or lack thereof) in the scriptures.

It was the Church, by the authority granted her by Christ, which declared all three to be Divine Persons. As such, it is entirely appropriate that each be prayed to.

Jesus taught us how to pray “Our Father who art in Heaven, …” (Lk; 11: 2) No one can come to me (Jesus) unless the Father calls him…" How does one go to Jesus if not in prayer? Rom:8: 26 “…for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit intercedes with inexpressible groanings.” When we pray it is the Holy Spirit praying in us, is not prayer the expression of our belief in God? And what is belief in God, if not the gift of Faith, from Jesus through the gift of His, and the Father’s Holy Spirit

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.