What is the book of Mormon all about

and do Mormons think more of it then they do about the Bible, How wrote the book of Mormon

From the mormon.org web site::

mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/the-restoration-of-truth/the-book-of-mormon

As part of the Restoration of the gospel, God brought forth the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. By the power of God, Joseph Smith translated this book from an ancient record written on gold plates. The Book of Mormon is “a record of God’s dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel” (Introduction to the Book of Mormon).

The Book of Mormon is a powerful witness of Jesus Christ. It helps us understand His teachings, including those in the Bible. Examples of Book of Mormon witnesses of Christ include:

* Nephi, who saw the birth and death of Christ in a vision ( 1 Nephi 11:13–15).
* The brother of Jared, who saw the Lord because of his great faith ( Ether 3:7–16).
* The prophet Samuel the Lamanite, who prophesied of Christ’s coming and gave the signs of His birth and death ( Helaman 13–14).
* Christ Himself, who, after His Resurrection, appeared to the people of ancient America and invited them to come forward one by one to see and touch Him until “they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves” ( 3 Nephi 11:13–17).

In the Bible, Jesus told His Apostles, “Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd” ( John 10:16). Soon after He was resurrected, the Lord visited these “other sheep”—the inhabitants of ancient America. During this visit to the American continent (recorded in the Book of Mormon), Jesus Christ:

* Invited people to feel the wound marks in His hands and feet and side.
* Taught His gospel.
* Called twelve disciples to teach His gospel.
* Healed the sick.
* Prayed for the people.
* Performed miracles.

In September 1823, Joseph Smith was visited by a heavenly messenger named Moroni, in the same way that angels often appeared to Church leaders in the New Testament. Moroni informed Joseph that God had a work for him to do and told him that a record of the ancient inhabitants of the American continent was buried in a nearby hill. He stated that the record contained the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ ( Joseph Smith—History 1:27–34).

In September 1827, Joseph received the record, which was written on thin plates of gold. Joseph translated the book into English by the inspiration of God and called the book the Book of Mormon. It is named after Mormon, an ancient prophet who compiled the sacred record. The book verifies, as another testament of Christ, the reality and divinity of Jesus Christ. It is, then, a second witness that affirms the truth of the Bible.

Multipart question.

From my Catholic perspective, the best message (other than what was plagirized from the Bible) one can get from the BOM is God’s consequences upon those who practice hatred, racism, and revenge and do not respect His creation. That message came from Solomon Spalding’s original text.

Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery, and Joseph Smith then plagirized from Spalding’s text.

Most Mormons believe that the Book of Mormon is better than the Bible, and that is because the Catholic Church had a hand in the writing of the Bible. And they believe that the Catholic Church was in apostasy since the death of the last apostle, or before.

Mormons believe that the Nephites, until the very last, were good people, because they were white. The prototype for the “Nephites” were the Norse/Vikings. And we KNOW how bad some of them were. :eek:

That should give the thread a jump-start. :smiley:

Oh, and Joseph lied. :rolleyes:

The best source on Mormons and other cults is the book by the late DR Walter MARTIN “Kingdon of the Cults” his book is considered the authority on cult teachings , He has chapters on Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science , and others

After reading your answer I have another question.what are the so called golden plates,what was on the GP and who else saw the plates

Hi, Jerusha,
Plagiarism is easily detected in today’s world, and can be pointed out in a scholarly way including source textual comparisons. I have looked at Spalding’s writing and am extremely familiar with the Book of Mormon and the Bible. Your assertion is merely an assertion without merit about Spalding and Rigdon.

As for the Bible, the Bible quotes itself repeatedly. So what if it does? I think it should. It makes sense that it does. The Book of Mormon prophets loved the writings that were on the Brass Plates they brought with them from Jerusalem, which had original prophetic writings. Of course they would quote them as they taught their own people. Isaiah prophesied about their dispersion to the islands of the sea and foreign lands, and prophesied about the mission of Jesus Christ to the world. Of course they would love the writings of Isaiah, and quote them to their people.

I’m sure if you really want to know you can find it at mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/

This link may also help you:

lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=637e1b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=5ecaa41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1&contentLocale=0

Gee Wiz Parker. If only you guys would look back at the writings of your preprogrammed answers, you would see that they don’t make any sense. What in the Sam Hill does the bible quoting itself have to do with Joseph Smiths plagiarism of the KJV? It has been proven so many times that nowdays the Mormons just admit that JS put the verses from the KJV into his BOM during the translation because people during that time period (JS) understood the Kings English better than straight American English. Sounds silly doesn’t it?

Joseph Smith copied transcripts written by Solomon Spaulding, and added several word for word passages from the King James Bible. That’s where the BoM comes from.

www.mrm.org

…is a great site for information about the LDS church and Joseph Smith

Brigham Young taught Adam was God??? Never heard that one.

Sorry, that was off topic.

There is no evidence that the “golden plates” ever existed. There were about 11 witnesses that claim to have seen them. However some saw them with a cloth covering them. Others claim to have seen them with “spirit eyes”. The witnesses were friends of JS and some were related to each other. Hardly what you could call objective witnesses.
Since the plates never existed, Joseph Smith came up with the fable that the angel took them away. Many have asked the Mormons why did they not remain on Earth so everyone could see them. They would be displayed like the Constitution is. The Mormons give various obiviously unacceptable answers. “You don’t need the plates to believe” is one.

The Mormons are perfectly happy with all these fables, thinking that everything is honky-dory because they have that “burning in the bosom”

Wow lot’s of info
First of all I was a mormon for around 15 years, I was in it, lived it, everything.
Thankfully i’m out now, I seen the light! -Celebration Dance-
But Yes, The book of mormon is like…a storybook if you will. It does teach good things, but it was not written by god, or any hand directed by god.

The golden plates were not real either, apparently Joseph was the only one who saw them. He had to ‘decode’ them by looking into a hat with stones and looking through special glasses.

Which is similar to what he did when he said he could find gold with ‘seer stones’

You can read an article about the Book of Mormon here…

baptist1611.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127

?

Hmmm, that might explain a lot!
[/quote]

Was “spirit eyes” like alcohol spirits?
[/quote]

:rotfl:

One of the interesting things to me about the foundations of the LDS church is that there are multiple records about the vision JS had when he was a teenager and how he actually transcribed the golden tablets. There are at least 3 different accounts of his vision. Also using the seer stone in the hat is only one of the different records to how he transcribed the tablets.

Also what was said about the witness in an earlier post I’ve also read about. No one actually saw the tablets…just them covered or in the box they were supposedly kept in.

Also if you do some research on the History told in the BoM and people and places in the Bom…nothing matches up to what is actually known about the Americas during the time the BoM supposedly is talking about. The weapons talked about, the food, and the animasl all didn’t exist in the Americas at the time. Hardly the written Word of God…

Hi, Cody,
I read the little article you cited from the Baptist minister who wrote it. What perhaps each of you fail to understand is that evidence that the Book of Mormon has phrases just like the Bible only validates my original statement on this thread–that the Nephite prophets used the Brass Plates which contained writings from Old World prophets–plus that they also had the spirit of revelation which gave them the inspired words of God, so there are several more fully treated religious doctrines (such as “opposition in all things” and the full scope of the atonement of Jesus Christ) in the Book of Mormon.

Why wouldn’t God inspire Joseph Smith in the translation of the Book of Mormon, using “Elizabethan English”? “Elizabethan English” is a treasure in itself to the world. God knows that. Shakespeare (or de Vere) had to have been inspired in his writing, it is so rich and powerful and moving. So is the KJV Bible translation. It is a wonder of the world. I think one of the things God wants us to do in the world is to preserve good language, for it enriches multiple generations and that is important to God’s purposes.

The little article puzzled me in saying the Book of Mormon has “no heart”. Evidently, the author who was so familiar with the Bible, read only Moroni (the final prophet-writer of the book) and either skimmed the rest or didn’t read it at all, because the Book of Mormon has authentic emotion on page after page by writers with sincerity and an urgency you can feel. They were aware of our day, our time, our challenges, as they wrote about their day and time and challenges. The Book of Mormon is truly a message from God to those people in our day who seek additional knowledge from God alongside the knowledge He inspired through the gift He gave the world of the Holy Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.