What is the Catholic belief on ouija boards?

I know they’re forbidden (and any type of conjuring the dead) first of all so that’s not my question. I was at a birthday party when I was young, I’m thinking 2nd or 3rd grade and they were talking about them so they made one from scratch with letters on a board or cardboard (can’t remember exactly) and a cup to be moved to spell words. I didn’t know exactly what I was doing nor that it was forbidden at the time and I didn’t even believe it at first but I felt the cup moved as we asked question and they were answered. We even asked the names of people we would marry. I even remember the first name (but not last for some reason) of the response to that question for me.

Anyways, I don’t truly believe that these spirits can know the future, can they? I don’t even believe for sure that it was real, maybe it was my mind that chose to believe it. I’m just curious if anyone has input on this subject. I really wish I would have never done that but it’s just a part of my past I have to live with I suppose.

If something is not from God then where else can it be from? To try and know things which are not ours to know is the height of pride and was Adam and Eve’s downfall

It’s either a somewhat bizarre game or a portal to demonic activity, if one is susceptable.

That’s why it puzzles me so much. Maybe I’m making up that the cup really moved and maybe my friend was playing a trick but I really think it did on it’s own. My only suspicions are that it could be God trying to teach a lesson in a very odd way or that it could be demonic activity but is that even something we’re taught to believe in? Could it also be a soul who’s in purgatory?

We’ve all done things in our past that we’re not proud of. That’s what the Sacrament of Confession is for.

You were quite young at the time. You learned your lesson and won’t do it again. I would encourage you to move on and not get hung up on it.

Ouija is widely condemned by people in the Church and especially exorcists. I’d stay away from it.

Ouija boards and Catholicism are not compatible. This is addressed in the Catechism opf the Catholic Church, paragraphs 2115 - 2117.
Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity. *

-Tim-

As a person has previously said, we have all done things we are not proud of in our past and we have to let go. If we can’t then maybe we need spiritual direction. For future reference the Church’s stance is:

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility. (305)

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others—even if this were for the sake of restoring their health—are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.
Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church. usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

Hope this helps.

May God bless you.

Here’s my belief. If you put two gullible teenagers in front of a Ouija board and tell them how it all works, the thing will move. It is a subconscious belief and decision.

If you put two big skeptics in front of that thing, it does not move.

Does that tell you anything?

If people use a Ouija board and try to conjure up the dead or some spirit to discern the future, then they could be conjuring up spirits that may or may not have a view of the future; either way, they can bring ruin to our minds and even lives.

I did some stupid things for a short time as an unknowing teen and it messed with my mind at the time. Thanks for my mother steering me away. My friend continued using it regularly and got involved with some serious mischief. She still feels lost from those years.

You can confess it at confession and use your experience to keep other kids from dabbling. The greater problem is who enabled you and friends to dabble in third grade?

If it helps look up “Derren Brown” and “Table Tipping”
He’s a British stage"magician" and hypnotist. He has shown how table tipping works as a firm of group hypnosis or hysteria. A OuJa board is the same thing.

Most of the time they are nothing but an exercise in self hypnosis by impressionable young kids. The answers to the questions come out of the subconscious of group members of by the deliberate manipulation by one person trying to prank the others.

It is of course possible that very occasionally some malevolent spirit may use the opportunity to spiritually attack one or more persons present. That is made easier by their deliberate invitation to spirits to manifest themselves.

As a matter of Christian Faith it is impossible to communicate with dead persons that way. If they are in heaven they could not participate in your son and if they are in Hell then it is impossible for them to intact with the living. Only Satan and the other fallen angels can do that

Here is a rather disturbing account of the invisible demonic influence behind all such divination: holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/guests/tomhoopes/darkbackward.asp

Author Tom Hoopes writes for the National Catholic Register, so he is not a simple blogger.

Thanks. Important reading.

No Matt, I do not think so. If you have not done it, go to confession from the bottom of your heart and ask God to forgive you to have done it and prevent or give counsel to people **not to do it., **who think in doing it or do it.:tsktsk:

As for the memory, we have very good memory some times and remember many thinks we do not like we did. Confession is always the answer. Then if you remember what ever it will have lost its power over you because you repented and confessed it.:thumbsup:

In the love of Christ and of His ways,
Gloria

Use of a Ouija board, although it is a recent invention, is technically necromancy, and is forbidden. Usually it’s just kids goofing around, but its still forbidden, and has been for millennia to God’s people, as the story of Saul and the Witch of Endor shows.

Why take chances? As the Mexican proverb says, if you knock at a closed door too long, the devil may answer.

What’s the difference between wearing charms and a Miraculous medal, which I wear?

They are real…trust me…a group of friends that I ran around with back in the early 90s when I was a teenager got into the habit of using one over the course of a few months, I did not ever touch it, but 2 females regularly handled the oracle, and the rest of us stood around watching. I did not believe in it before we did it, i want to make that clear.

It worked fairly easily from what I saw, they contacted some spirits that claimed to be people that had died in the early 1900s, a couple strange things resulted, they once gave us detailed directions to a spot near a local cement factory, and told us to dig down 5ft, we found a large glass jar, sealed, and inside was some kind of tar, liquid looking stuff, and had something floating inside of it, could not tell what it was though, the spirits claimed it was a particular body part immersed in some kind of fluid, we never opened it, and buried it back in its spot. what was strange was it knew exactly where this jar was, and it was easy to tell it had been there for many many years. if one of our friends had went out and put it there prior, it would be noticeable due to the soil and how it was sitting in the ground when we found it. I think it had been there before any of us had even been born.

Another incident, when the 2 girls were using it, I asked it a very personal question, asked for the last name of a relative that was totally unknown to any of my friends, the board gave the correct answer within 3 seconds…at that point, I knew it was real and still remember the cold chill I got when I saw it answer.

I have not been around a Ouija board since that time and I just hope I did not open myself up back then, although I dont think so because I never actually used the board, just watched and asked questions of it…but who knows what powers those evil spirits have.

My advice…steer clear of them

It really isn’t for me to judge why a person wears charms (of any description) or a Miraculous medal. I simply put the quote from the Catechism of the Catholic in answer to the question. If you have concerns, I can only suggest talking to your priest.

God bless.

Stay away from this demonic game! I read an article years ago on a Catholic magazine about three friends ,who did it.After the game,all of them became different .They started having nightmares and Satan was appearing to them all the time.Then two of them died,one from committing suicide and one from a freak vehicular accident.The then survivor ,who was the author ,was hearing voices that keep prodding to end her life.She consulted a Priest,but it only minimizes the ill effects.She was the one that warned the readers never to participate on it.On my personal side,my sister in law ,who is just in her 40s has become psychotic ,while brother has become an undesirable person,since they played it,3 yrs ago.They lost their business and encountered misfortunes after misfortunes!

I would love to read that article, do you recall what magazine that was in, or what year this happened?

It is strange a priests involvement would have little effect, I thought God had power over Satan and the demons.It is also strange to think satan most likely caused their deaths.Why did God not protect these 2 people?

Maybe they were the unfortunate ones who did not only reach a demon thru the ouija board, but managed to get ahold of Satan himself!, GEEZ, if that is not bad luck, I dont know what is!!!

I think the name Ouija board is just a modern given name and the actual device is a much older ‘tool’ for accessing spirits, probably was created before Christ came too.

I have been giving these things away to all my Atheist Friends with the primary purpose that they will abuse the powers that the Ouija Boards possess, sooner or later, they always make contact with something, mostly demonic entities. That’s when all the fun begins, because an Atheist will say it’s Coincidence, then as more crazy Coincidental stuff happens their faith will grow, it will grow in the belief that there are demons, and hopefully in Satan as well. Then when they feel threatened by the Crazy stuff happening they will look for help, as they always do. Of the 34 Atheists that I have given this game to 29 have sought the attention of Catholic Priests, 25 of them are in RCIA studying to become Catholics, and 2 have been confirmed.

[quote=http://www.riteofexorcism.com] Exorcist Father Vince Lampert says, If people no longer believe in Evil, then the converse will be as true as well, people will no longer believe in God, or will move further away from him. If the devil can convince us that he does not exist, then we really have no need for a savior, no need for Christ.

Exorcist Father Gabriele Amorth says, All those that do not believe in the devil, actually help the devil, he is very happy that most do not believe he exists. Because when a person does not believe in the devil, then the devil has more freedom and the person can’t have freedom over the devil.

The Rite of Exorcism -Myths, Mystery and Hope

[/quote]

The greatest lie the devil ever convinced Atheists was that he doesn’t exist. It’s true what they say about not believing in the devil, if you don’t believe in him then Jesus doing what he did didn’t really happen, the need for Jesus is not real, because why would we need him when there is no such thing as the devil.

I also suggest that all Atheists read An Exorcist Tells His Story after they have played with the Ouija Board a few times over and weird stuff keeps happening to them.

I have a few spare ones lying on a shelf, though none of them have been used, weird stuff has been happening around them, like stuff falling off the shelf, and stuff where I put it is in a different location. If you want to **** off the Ouija Board demons make the sign of the Cross over the board or at least in it’s direction, to better understand the Sign of the Cross I recommend reading The Sign of the Cross. I also recommend that all Atheists even if they don’t believe in God just to make the sign of the Cross, and see if anything happens. Just do it like 3-5 times a day and you will see the miracles manifesting before you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.