What is The Catholic Church's teaching on Santa?

What dogma, if any, is there?

The Church does not have a “teaching” on Santa. The Church teaches on faith and morals. Santa has nothing to do with either. So, what is the frame of reference for your question?

St. Nicholas was a bishop and is a Saint in the Church. His feast day is December 6th. Santa Claus traditions come out of the story of St. Nicholas but are not directly related to the historical person of St. Nicholas.

What does The Catholic Church think about teaching children about Santa, elves, etc…?

The Church has no teaching on this.

So I understand it as being OK to teach children this.

The Church has no position on this. I used to ban santa from our house, but now we do things differently. We “play” santa; they know he is not real (because I don’t want to lie to them). we do watch shows with santa, listen to Christmas songs with reference to Santa, and use decorations with his picture. I use to shun all of that. It is fun for the kids to play, but we always emphasize the Birth of Christ as the reason for the season.

I am considering running in a 5k race called The Elf Run for Childhood Cancer but am making aure it is alright since it makes a reference to elves.

The Chuch, especially the Eastern Churches, celebrate “Santa” on December 6

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

This is fine.

Your scrupulosity is working overtime.

I think the goal of your 5k far outweighs any negative thoughts associated with elves. In reference to Santa, my kids get gifts from Santa with the explanation that this is in celebration of the birth of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

Oh, wow. Are you for real, or are you pulling our chains with all these questions?

If you are for real, you need some serious counseling.

Are you eating turkey on Thursday? It involves murdering an animal, and murder is against the commandments…:rolleyes: (I am being sarcastic, but some of these questions are down right silly).

And of course you realize that if you rearrange the letters in “Santa” you get:
S-A-T-A-N :eek::eek::eek:

I think the story of Saint Nick - the story behind the legend of Santa is an absolutely beautiful Christian story that is perfect for the Holidays. "Elves" take out the superstition and it just is an excuse for the little helpers that get caught.:blush:

Its just something fun for the kids. Theres nothing really wrong with it. It does however have some truth behind it. There was a real Saint Nick..

Santa Claus is a secularization of Saint Nicholas, who ensured poor families did not go without food and necessities on the birthday of Jesus.

catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=371

Coca-Cola advertising from 79 years ago is responsible for the change of this holy man into the jolly man in the red suit, with a secular instead of a religious emphasis of charity to others especially those in need.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:12, topic:220591"]
And of course you realize that if you rearrange the letters in "Santa" you get:
S-A-T-A-N :eek::eek::eek:

[/quote]

Yes and if rearrange the letters in dog you get God but I don't think Fido is a deity. :rolleyes:

I do have to say I think this is the earliest we have had the - is it sinful to lie to your kids about Santa thread or some other derivation of it.....Tis the season everyone. (Does forward roll throws crutches takes bow) God Bless us Everyone

[quote="joandarc2008, post:17, topic:220591"]
I do have to say I think this is the earliest we have had the - is it sinful to lie to your kids about Santa thread or some other derivation of it.....Tis the season everyone. (Does forward roll throws crutches takes bow) God Bless us Everyone

[/quote]

Makes us sound like Baptists! :D And Halloween is a Satanic holiday too.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:18, topic:220591"]
Makes us sound like Baptists! :D And Halloween is a Satanic holiday too.

[/quote]

Officially time to change my ticker to something Christmassy.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:17, topic:220591"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Well said, as per usual!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.