What is the Catholic gospel message?

The word “gospel” means “good news”. What is the Catholic gospel in your opinion?

I think article 1 of the CCC sums it up pretty well.

God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Savior. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

Sheer, uncompromising happiness awaits those who place Love above all else.

What is the Gospel?
by James Akin
cin.org/users/james/ebooks/gospjust/gospel.htm

This doesn’t make much sense to me. If God “created man to make him share in his own blessed life” then it seems to me that we would ALL go to heaven–unless God actually created only some of mankind to share in his own blessed life.

If “He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church”, then it must be possible for all men to recognize which so-called ‘church’ really is GOD’S church.

What happens when individuals don’t respond to His “call”?
What is not clear in this paragraph that makes you state that “This doesn’t make much sense to me”?

Gods intention is that all will share in His life. He chooses to let us decide if we’ll go along with that program or not. There was only one visible Church spreading the good news for 1500 years until confusion entered due to apostasy from that Church on a large scale.

Well, that’s a summary statement, not the whole of the Gospel message. God created all men for love, but not all men choose God’s love because of sin. The Church was founded by Christ and is his body, which is why the assurance of salvation is found in it.

If “He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church”, then it must be possible for all men to recognize which so-called ‘church’ really is GOD’S church.

Yes, it is possible for all men to recognize which church is really God’s Church. All it takes is reason, and a willingness to be instructed in solid history and theology. We in the West have that in spades, so we are expected to seek God’s one, truth Church in honesty and in belief. Also, the Church has sent out missionaries to every corner of the world. It is doing it’s part, now we have to do ours.

Jesus Christ

So you do not believe that we have “Free Will”? … You do not believe that individual persons ccan turn towards God [Love] or towards Satan [Sin]?

Do you believe that God "predestined’ some people for damnation and some for salvation?

Do you believe that everyone is going to heaven?
Or the opposite - Everyone is going to hell?

I believe the answer was clearly presented - Good created us out of Love. God desires that we love Him “Freely” in return - not coerced - that we choose to be in relationship with Him. God’s love is perfect, God’s promises are everlasting, God’s ability to foregive infinate … all that is left for us is to say “Yes” to God - and keep saying that “Yes” - returning to God when we fail … That is the Gospel message, that is why Jesus came into the world to Redeem its fallen nature.

So perhaps we need to ask you … What does the Good News message to you?

I researched this and I have two articles that I wrote for my blog that should clear this up for you.
[size=4]How Is A Catholic Saved?

Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?[/size]

Short version of the Catholic gospel:
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
Slightly longer version of the Catholic gospel: Catholic Answers’ God’s Love For You.

At the top of this page, there may be a banner ad for a little booklet produced by Catholic Answers entitled “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth”…click it.

If not, try this: catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

The Catholic Gospel is THE Gospel of Christ, as the Catholic Church is the specific, visible, hierarchal Church that He founded, as history attests to. Since Christ promised that this Church would never fall into error, and would be guided by the Holy Spirit to all truth, to imply that the Catholic Gospel is not the Gospel is to ignore the words of Christ.

2 Cor 5:18-20 “All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

That there is One Christ and in Him lies all Hope.

Remember the Last Supper as He said to do.

Remember the Cross and what He did.

Remember He rose again from the dead.

There is only one church, whoever you are and whatever you believe, or don’t believe.

He is Coming Again.

Catholic men authored the New Testament. The good news, the Gospel of God is brought to the world through the Catholic Church. The table of contents of the Bible was authored by God’s Church, the Catholic Church. The Bible is a Catholic Book, intended for all God’s children. That you have the good news, is through the Catholic Church, and no other place. If you deny this, you’re out of touch with reality. If you are not Catholic, then you are not authentically Christian believing in all the dogmas and participating in as many as seven authentic Sacraments…, and likely you neither understand the Good News, nor do what Christ asked us to do, such as eat His Body and drink His Blood. There is no valid Eucharist without the Sacramental Priesthood established by Christ. The ecclesial communities born after the “reformation” lack an authentic priesthood, and therefore cannot be called Churches in the proper sense. If you deny Catholicism, you deny authentic Christianity, and you are ignorant of Christ.

I agreed with all you wrote MDK, but I think you went a bit too far in saying that those believers in Christ who are not Catholic are not authentically Christian. It would be better to say, as the Church does, that they are in imperfect union with Christ’s Church. Imperfect because they are separated from the Eucharist (except the Orthodox, of course, and any others the Church recognizes as having a valid priesthood). But in union through their trinitarian baptism (if done with the proper matter and same intent as the Church).

I take note, Mick, that you haven’t made many replies to our posts. I do hope it’s not because we aren’t being helpful to your inquiry. Please let us know what isn’t clear to you and why. :slight_smile:

Not sure if its been asked already, but just for clarifcation, in your experience, what do you think the Catholic gospel message is?

High M.T. In my own words it’s a written record of God’s incredible love story to man by becoming man Himself; God enduring our whacky ways:whacky:.:yup:

Peace and God bless onenow1:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.