What is the Catholic view of Dispensationalism?

Dispensationalism was how the Bible was interpreted by fundamental Baptists. They believe in the Rapture, the ‘seven year tribulation’ and the Millennial rule of Christ.
What is the Catholic view of this teaching?
Thanks.

The rapture is not believed to come at that point I think.

Dispensationalism is basically a heresy. The Catholic Church (and the Orthodox Churches) do not believe in that. It’s a misunderstanding of The Bible.

I will send you a link later to a CD/MP3 or another resource on this later

God Bless

The best way to combat their views is simply to ask them questions they are unable to answer.

Let’s start with Daniel Chapter nine (KJV) (the foundation of dispensationalist theology).

24Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
25Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
26And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

?

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

1. Dispys say that there is a ‘church age gap’ between verse 26 and 27.
Where is the gap? IN THE TEXT.
It’s not there.

2. Dispys say that the ‘prince that shall come’ in verse 26 is different than ‘Messiah the Prince’ of verse 25.
How do you know it is speaking of two different people from a simple reading of the text? Why would Daniel suddenly change his mind and start talking about a different person? How does this make logical and grammanical sense? Please find it IN THE TEXT.
It is an assumption. Daniel did not change the subject, he is still talking about the same Person. To ‘assume’ makes no grammanical or logical sense. It cannot be drawn out of the text.
Also:

**3.**Please find ANY referance of the ‘rapture’ in Scripture or in church history prior to the 19th century.
One cannot.

4. Dispys (like Harold Wilmington of Libery University) say that during the millenniam, resurrected people and non-resurrected people with sin natures will live side by side on the earth.
PLEASE, find this ANYWHERE in the Bible.
One cannot.

5. Find ‘seven year tribulation’ in the Bible.
One cannot.

6. Find ‘revived Roman Empire’ anywhere in the Bible.
One cannot.

7. Please find anywhere in the Bible that says the Jews will return to the land in 1948.
One cannot.

“dispensationalism” goes back to John Nelson Darby circa 1832. The torch was picked up by Scofield, Ryrie, Hal Lindsey, etc. It is the central hermeneutic in places like Bob Jones and Dallas Theological Seminary.

There are many books refuting dispensationalism, the best written by Protestants themselves:

Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth: A Critique of Dispensationalism by John H. Gerstner (Probably one of the very best books refuting dispensationalism. It does to this ‘theololgy’ what Karl Keating did in Fundamentalism and Catholicism).

Before Jerusalem Fell by Kenneth L., Jr. Gentry (Preterist view)

Dispensationalism: Rightly Dividing the People of God? by Keith A. Mathison

The Bible and the Future by Anthony A. Hoekema

Last Days according to Jesus, by R. C. Sproul

Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church by Gary Demar

The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views by George Eldon Ladd

End Times Fiction by Gary DeMar (Excellent critique of the ‘Left Behind’ series)

There are many, MANY more. Notice I have only given Protestant authors. It is the Protestants themselves who have succesfully torn down this whole system.

1 Like

Bad theology often seems more appealing to the world than good.

One aspect people seem to avoid is the effect Dispensationalism has had on US foreign policy, especially in regard to Israel. Secular, unbelieving politicians appear to be guided by the specter of Dispensationalism, even though many have never heard of it.

It’s important to note that, although dispensationalism includes the notion of ‘rapture’, ‘tribulation’, and ‘millenial rule’, it is nevertheless not defined by it. Dispensationalism, at its core, believes that the old dispensation (God’s promises to the Israelites) will be fulfilled – but only for Jews – and the new dispensation (Jesus’ promises to Christians) will only then be able to fulfilled.

What is the Catholic view of this teaching?

Essentially, that it’s hogwash. There’s no set of promises to one set of people and a different set of promises to others: Jesus came to fulfill God’s plan, and does so for all humanity.

(The Catholic Church also, BTW, doesn’t teach ‘rapture’ or literal ‘seven year tribulation’ or literal ‘1000-year rule’.)

youtube.com/watch?v=j5MDqUAfPcI

:thumbsup:

Dispensationism is a mistranslation and a way to sell books and movies that have nothing to do with scripture. Left Behind? Give me a break

1. the Church is the new Israel. The Church was officially part of Judaism for several years after Christ’s Resurrection, but officially because separate when the Pharisees kicked us out of the Synagogues. The Church did not form from Gentiles not was for Gentiles only… It was the opening of God’s Covenant to the whole world

God’s first Covenant was with a couple (Adam & Eve)
His 2nd Covenant was with a family (Noah)
His 3rd with a nation (Abraham)
His 4th with a kingdom (David)
And His 5th and last with the whole world (Jesus)

God kept expanding His Covenant until He incorporated the whole world via His Son.

1. however, the Jewish people still have a purpose in God’s plan, however, we don’t exactly know what that is. It’s not revealed. The idea that the Jewish people need to accept Christ before He returns is a THEORY, not revelation

Another theory is that the whole world must become Christian first. Again, these are theories.

1. in regard to the immediate return of Christ, the Church teaches that we don’t know when the end will come. Plan and simple.

We also believe that the Book of Revelation was written for the Past. Present. And Future. So you can always read it and feel like it’s talking about the present generation.

1. we know that the end of time will involve The Holy Land because that is what Armageddon means… Har Megiddo or the “Hills of Megiddo” … These hills are in the Joly Land.

So no one is denying that modern Israel will not have a role, but the Holy Kingdom of Israel will never be restored, because the King of Israel is Jesus Christ.

1. in regards to Constantine and Christmas… There are plenty of resources on Catholic.com which provide correct context to these things… BTW: the winter solstice is on 12/21, not 12/25

Dec 25th was selected based on calculations which were intended to provide a best guess to the Birth of Christ; since birthdays were not celebrated back then and we didn’t have records regarding when he was born (other than what the Gospels tell us)

God Bless

Here is an article on Amillennialism which is the belief of the Orthodox and Catholic Churches. You can follow the links to read about the other schools of thought.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amillennialism

John 6 states:

Verse 40 - For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day

Verse 44 - No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day

Verse 54 - Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and** I will raise him on the last day**

These verses do not square with a pretribulation rapture.

For more on this check out John Martignoni’s download “The Rapture and the Bible”

biblechristiansociety.com/download

Just want to note that believing in an imminent return of Jesus and believing in a pre-tribulation rapture are not necessarily the same thing.

5. Find ‘seven year tribulation’ in the Bible.
One cannot.

Seven year period starts with the “he” "Prince that shall come) confirms / enforcement of a treaty between Israel and “the many”, some world federation at the time. In the miffle you have the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet, and then 3-1/2 years latter the Jews repent and ask Jesus to come back and by then you will know the exact date of the second comming!

6. Find ‘revived Roman Empire’ anywhere in the Bible.
One cannot.

No Dispensatonalist would claim that words “revived Roman Empire” is in the Bible. Dan 9 says the “he”, the prince that shall come will be from the people who destroyed the temple in 70 AD. Daniel also prophesized the “iron” and the iron legs, and the iron mixed with clay to form the 10 toes of the image that king Nebuc. Daniel explains the dream and the world empires which turn out to be the Babylon (Iran), then the Persians (Iran), then the Romans, then the split (two legs), West and East, and then the loose reformation of the 'iron mixed with clay" for the ten toes, a federation that has not happened yet and I assume can come from either leg. Daniel is very, very clear on these empires and who they are.

7. Please find anywhere in the Bible that says the Jews will return to the land in 1948.
One cannot.

Wrong again. No Dispensationalist would say make the claim that 1948. Your remarks and the remarks here that the Dispensational view is “hogwash” shows a lack of diligent study and understanding of what the Bible really says. Those opposed to the Dispensational view just make wilds statements like this and have NO scriptural or biblical basis as to why Dispensaltionalist views are incorrect. The Bible and scripture fully supports the Dispensationalist view as I have given you just a few of the scriptures and there are many, many more throughout the Bible that when you link these passages together you understand God’s plan of redemption… enough …

Ezekiel clearly states in (e.g., chapter 36 that the Jews are to be regathered in the land in the “latter days” and since Israel became a nation again in one day that happened to be in March 1948 aft not existing for over 2000 years, serious bible students will know that we live in the “latter days”. Israel is the only nation to ever come back after some 2000 years again which is another proof that God is not done with Israel and that the church does not replace Israel. The church is basically a 3rd part benefactor and grafted in to the root (see Romans 9-10-11). God does not bring something back if that thing were replaced. Israel is God’s “first born”.

Ben Gurion in march 1948 over a broadcast declared Israel to be a nation again citing Ezekiel as their authority to return to the land God gave them. Israel are not occupiers of the land, but owners of the land given to tjem by God. All the Arabs are not entitled to any part of that land under God’s law and the Jews will never be removed from that land again.

Not a fan of Kirk Cameron’s work? Seriously though I once thought it would make a decent movie series if nothing else… and then Nicholas Cage gave it a try.

As for being a proper reading of the bible… not so much from what I’ve read.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.