What is the Chaplet of Divine Mercy?

I am “back Home” after 35 years and am full of questions. I just watched a show on EWTN of Father Corapi and looked up his web site. One of the things you could click on was Prayer 911. It contained a reference to “The Chaplet of Divine Mercy”. First, I don’t really understand what a “Chaplet” is. I did a search on here and must have typed in the wrong thing because where it took me to had nothing to do with it. Is it a type of Rosary?? What are the prayers?? I appreciate any answers!!

A chaplet is a prayer that is similar to a rosary, and is often said using rosary beads to count the repetitions. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy was a prayer that was revealed by Jesus in a vision to St. Faustina Kowalska of Poland in the early 1900s. There are many other chaplets that people can say, but this is among the most famous.

The Chaplet of Divine Mercy

Information on the history of the chaplet (note the menu on the left):
ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/backgr.htm

EWTN’s presentation of the Chaplet, Part I:
youtube.com/watch?v=Mdz_vorieGA

EWTN’s presentation of the Chaplet, Part II:
youtube.com/watch?v=E6un3Np706U&feature=related

This EWTN link should help you. Be sure to see the additional info. on the left side. God bless you. :slight_smile:

lol… great minds think alike! :thumbsup:

Nice timing. :wink:

In the 1930’s, Jesus appeared to a Polish nun (Sister Maria Faustina, now Saint Faustina) asking her to help spread the message of His mercy to the whole world. You can read more about it in her diary, Divine Mercy in My Soul.

One part of His message of mercy was asking her (and through her, asking others) to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

A chaplet is any set of prayers using a string of beads to count the prayers. (The Rosary is one kind of chaplet; there are others with different numbers of beads.) The Divine Mercy Chaplet is prayed using normal Rosary beads, as follows:

[LIST]
*]The Chaplet begins with the OUR FATHER, HAIL MARY, and the APOSTLES’ CREED.
*]Then on the large bead before each decade one recites: Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
*]On each of the ten small beads, pray the following: For the sake of His Sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
*]At the end of the Chaplet recite three times the following prayer: **Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world. **
*]Then conclude with the following prayer: O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You! (or simply, Jesus, I trust in You!)
[/LIST]
You can learn more about the Divine Mercy devotion at this website: thedivinemercy.org/message/index.php . Click on “Forms of Devotion” at the left to learn about the Divine Mercy image, chaplet, and novena. Click on “Saint Faustina” to learn more about the saint Jesus used as His instrument to convey His message of mercy.

Well, your answer has been answered. I just wanted to say “Welcome Home …again” and give you a quick testimony to the 911 prayer.

We (my husband and I) were having a difficult time in our businesses and hadn’t sold anything in months. I decided to just stop worrying and spend all day long or however long it took me to pray the 911 … COMPLETE Rosary, all four mysteries, etc … It took all day, especially when taking care of three little ones. Anyway, at the end of the day (which was Friday), my husband came home and inbetween himself and our two salesmen, we had seven confirmed sales. Praise God!

I was shocked. But really don’t know why I should have been, it only enforces the need for us to remember to live and let God take control.

God bless you! Dana

The chaplet of Divine Mercy was given to Sister Faustina. She was a sister who had visions of Jesus telling her to introduce this prayer to the world (there is several books about this if you want to read more. Sister Faustina even kept a diary which states her experiences with this)

If you have ever seen this famous paininting of Christ:
moreprayers.com/Divine_Mercy.jpg

Jesus told Sister Faustina to paint a picture of Him as she saw it. She described it to several artists, and finally this one came about. The red represents blood, and the white water.

The chaplet is a group of prayers. It’s sort of like the rosary. In fact, you can say it on one. This is how it is said:

Make the Sign of the Cross

Say the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Apostle’s Creed:

On the Hail Mary beads say “For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

On the Our Father beads say "Eternal father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son Jesus Christ in attonment for our sins and those of the whole World.

At the end, say this three times “Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, Have Mercy on Us and on the whole world.”

Also, if you pray this at 3 pm, starting Good Friday for nine days, you are supposed to recieve a special favor.

This is my knowledge of the Chaplet from high school religion classes. If you are intrested in more, I reccomend reading Sister Faustina’s Diary. There are also some videos.

Oh, and also there is this lovely version of the Chaplet in song:
youtube.com/watch?v=J7jej5Y74bE

Hope this helps you out.

-Jeanne

catholicforum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy1.htm
our.homewithgod.com/divinemercy/

Thank you so much for all this information!! I downloaded the prayers and said the Chaplet just this afternoon. I feel as if I am more a part of God’s community than ever before!! With all the turmoil around us, a soft, non-threatening corner feels good!!:thankyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.