What is the Child Jesus holding?

We recently purchased a picture of St. Joseph holding the child Jesus. Jesus is holding a blue, round-shaped object. It has a cross on top of it. The object is common in similar pictures that I have seen. Do you know what the object is and what the meaning of it is?

Incidentally, St. Joseph is holding a lily, which I believe signifies peace. Is this correct?

[quote=kaj3]Jesus is holding a blue, round-shaped object. It has a cross on top of it. Do you know what the object is and what the meaning of it is?
[/quote]

Without seeing it myself, all I can say is that it sounds like a globe. If so, the cross on top of the globe may symbolize humanity redeemed by the cross of Christ.

[quote=kaj3]Incidentally, St. Joseph is holding a lily, which I believe signifies peace. Is this correct?
[/quote]

Actually, it symbolizes purity. It is a reference to the fact that Mary and Joseph’s marriage was one of celibate chastity. The lily is also a symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary and recalls her titles Lily of the Valley and Spotless Lily that brought forth Christ the Unfading Rose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.