What is the Church teaching on eating meat on Friday?

I am attending a video lecture on the Gospel of Mttw…the person, very nice devout Catholic lady who is quite involved in the Parish is moderating the lecture…fasting, almsgiving, prayer…great stuff…I commented, please correct if I am wrong that 2nd Vatican Counsel never actually did away with the ‘no meat on Friday’ observance…it was my understanding that of course we should abstain/fast even if it wasn’t meat…but nevertheless we should make some observance…the comment was made that 'eating meat on Friday was considered a mortal sin prior to Vatican II…I find this hard to believe…I didn’t speak up but would you please clarify this matter for me…PAX

The following link should help you better understand the Church’s position on Friday abstinence. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[Where can I find a history of Friday abstinence from meat?](“Where can I find a history of Friday abstinence from meat?”)
Pastoral Statement on Penance and Abstinence

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.