What is the Churches teaching on Adam and Eve?

I am sure this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn’t find the answer to my question. So I was hoping someone here could give me an answer…
Here it goes.

What is the actual Church’s teaching (stance) on Adam and Eve? Where they real or are they a metaphor? Is there documentation to back this up, for example the CCC or some other document?

I am not looking for theology, I need to know the CHURCH’s stance on the subject. Is Adam and Eve part of Church Doctrine or apostolic traditon or whatever?

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, the Church teaches that Adam and Eve were real people from whom we are all descended:

375 The Church, interpreting the symbolism of biblical language in an authentic way, in the light of the New Testament and Tradition, teaches that our first parents, Adam and Eve, were constituted in an original “state of holiness and justice”.250 This grace of original holiness was “to share in. . .divine life”.251

You can enter the CCC at this point to read more on it. This quoted paragraph comes from the teachings based on the phrase: “created in the image of God.” No where does the Church not teach that Adam and Eve were not real people.

This article found on this very website might be useful to you: Adam, Eve, and Evolution.

How could the Church contradict Scritpture. Doesn’t Luke trace Jesus’ genealogy all the way back to Adam?

Notworthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.