What is the Church's position on Opus Dei?

What is the Church’s position on Opus Dei? Should we encourage people to join, or is it considered a radical sect not to be endorsed? Also, could you give me some background on Opus Dei and where I might go to find out more information?

Opus Dei is a personal prelature established by the Holy See and approved by Pope John Paul II. Its founder, Josemaria Escriva, was canonized in October 2002. In other words, the Church fully approves of Opus Dei. Although such approval does not mean that individuals not attracted to Opus Dei’s spirituality and charism must encourage others to join Opus Dei, it does mean that the group should not be considered a “radical sect.” For more information on Opus Dei from the perspective of a journalist who is not a member, I recommend Opus Dei: Leadership and Vision in Today’s Catholic Church by Vittorio Messori, the journalist who co-authored with the Pope his book Crossing the Threshold of Hope.

**Recommended reading:

Are There Cults in the Catholic Church?** by Jay Dunlap

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.