What is the Church's stance on mixed marriages?

My girlfriend is Baptist, and we have been dating for 2 years. I am pretty torn on whether to try to convert her and let her either do so or leave me due to persistance or accept an inter-faith marriage. I love her, but I don’t want any of my children growing up outside the Church because they were exposed to contradictory belief systems, which might cause them to abandon Christ all together. What is the Church’s stance on marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic and what other advice should I heed?

Dear Jack,

The Church allows mixed marriages, but it does not encourage them. If you have such reservations regarding your future children, talk them over with your girl friend. See how it goes. Your faith is your most precious gift. It is truly a shame to not be able to share it with your spouse—who should be your soul mate.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.