What is the Church's teaching on drugs?

HI!!! I am doing research for a college thesis and I was wondering if anyone knows of any links or information that I can find on the Church’s stance on drug use. I hope to explore why the CCC talks about why drugs are wrong and then go through different drugs (some legal and some illegal) to see if it would be immoral to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Have a great day!:smiley:

To help you in your research: Catechism of the Catholic Church. Just use the search feature. And all the best with your project.

The Church does not teach that using drugs for medicinal purposes is wrong.

The church does teach that taking anything that will lead to “inebriation”, including excessive alcohol, is sinful. If refers to many Old and New Testament references regarding “drunkenness” as a sin.

1852 There are a great many kinds of sins. Scripture provides several lists of them. The Letter to the Galatians contrasts the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit: “Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.”

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

Also, look at these commentaries. I have not read it all, but it may prove interesting.
the-tidings.com/2007/071307/benson.htm
archdiocesesantafe.org/ABSheehan/ABSMessages/01.11.04.DrugAbuse.html

In addition to the excellent recommendations already given, I’d add John Paul II’s Theology of the Body. This will give you an excellent insight into the purpose of our body and a framework for determining the morality of what we put into it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.