What is the Church's view of children born out of wedlock?

It seems as though I have really upset myself... I was born out of wedlock. Wisdom 3:16 says I will find no hope on Judgement Day and I'll never amount to a thing. I read John 6:44 which said "no one can come to me unless God the Father draws him to me, and I will raise him on the last day." That brought me a lot of comfort. THEN I read in Matthew "Many are called, few are chosen." Which made me upset again! Please help me with this I'm very upset.

David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
St. Simon Zealot, pray for us

Its important to read Scripture verses in their full context and not in isolation. In the ancient world it was a common belief that immortality was attained by having children. A kind of literal understanding of living on through your children. This belief was so deeply held that individuals would engage in many immoral relationships in an attempt to have as many children as possible. Wisdom 3:16 is addressing those individuals, not the children of those relationships. Wisdom chapter 3 is telling Israel that immortality comes through virtuous living and not simple progeny.

The Church has always taught that human life is in the image and likeness of God from the moment of its existence. No matter how that life came into being, it is loved and cherished by God.

Matthew 22:14 is a reminder to believers that while the call of salvation is universal it is not a guarantee. We still need to respond to the call and live it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.