What is the concept of Justice?

What is Justice in Catholic philosophy? Is the death penalty unjust?

Minor punishment like mortification is also justice.

Another one of those many threads we have been seeing in the last few days to sneak in the issue of capital punishment .:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You have heard it said, “an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth”. But, I tell you,…

Read the Sermon on the Mount if you want the answer to the misunderstanding which I believe you are trying to convey to us.

Justice is for God. Christians are to protect life.

“In the morning I put to death all the wicked of the land: that i might cut off all the workers of iniquity from the city of the Lord.” Psalm 100:8

King David as ruler of his people claims the right to execute the “wicked.” So here is lawful government executing Justice.

1807 Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the “virtue of religion.” Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man, often mentioned in the Sacred Scriptures, is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct toward his neighbor. “You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.” “Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.”

Catechism of the Catholic Church.

That is the definition of the cardinal virtue of justice.

If “giving to each their due” is justice, then the death penalty must be just. If the crime involves the taking of innocent life.

When did polygamy become lawful in the Church?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.