What is the customary greeting when meeting a Bishop?

When a person is introduced to a Bishop, what is the customary greeting? Or is it just a hello, it's an honor to meet you sort of thing?

Thanks!

Recognizing him as a successor to the Apostles, I drop to my right knee when he extends his hand and kiss his Episcopal ring.

I have yet to have a bishop withdraw his hand, rebuke me, or in any other way object to this sign of respect for his office.

[quote="Servulus, post:2, topic:296504"]
Recognizing him as a successor to the Apostles, I drop to my right knee when he extends his hand and kiss his Episcopal ring.

I have yet to have a bishop withdraw his hand, rebuke me, or in any other way object to this sign of respect for his office.

[/quote]

The proper greeting is actually on the left knee for your own Bishop. The right knee is reserved for Christ in the Eucharist. If you are greeting a Bishop other than your own, you can bow.

I don't care for Fisheaters usually, but I think they have a nicely detailed chart with all the greetings: fisheaters.com/addressingclergy.html

OP, I see you live in Chicago. If you plan on meeting His Eminence Cardinal George, it would be proper to kneel on the left knee and kiss his ring. He is addressed as "your eminence." :) Since he is a Cardinal, all Catholics, wherever they live, should use this greeting.
Hope this helps.

Could you further explain the formal closing? please

Right hand over left in the form of a cross and then say, "Vladyko, bless!" Then kiss his hand after he blesses you and places it on your right hand.

I drop to the left knee and kiss his ring.This is how I’ve been taught.

The last 2 U.S. bishops I’ve greeted don’t even allow ring kissing, much less going down on one’s knee.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:7, topic:296504"]
The last 2 U.S. bishops I've greeted don't even allow ring kissing, much less going down on one's knee.

[/quote]

That could be awkward. How do they convey they don't allow it?

[quote="anp1215, post:3, topic:296504"]
The proper greeting is actually on the left knee for your own Bishop. The right knee is reserved for Christ in the Eucharist. If you are greeting a Bishop other than your own, you can bow.

I don't care for Fisheaters usually, but I think they have a nicely detailed chart with all the greetings: fisheaters.com/addressingclergy.html

OP, I see you live in Chicago. If you plan on meeting His Eminence Cardinal George, it would be proper to kneel on the left knee and kiss his ring. He is addressed as "your eminence." :) Since he is a Cardinal, all Catholics, wherever they live, should use this greeting.
Hope this helps.

[/quote]

I NEVER KNEW THAT. Thank you!

[quote="rfournier103, post:9, topic:296504"]
I NEVER KNEW THAT. Thank you!

[/quote]

You are very welcome. I love that little chart. Very informative and detailed.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:7, topic:296504"]
The last 2 U.S. bishops I've greeted don't even allow ring kissing, much less going down on one's knee.

[/quote]

What a shame.

[quote="thebookofesther, post:4, topic:296504"]
Could you further explain the formal closing? please

[/quote]

I honestly don't know about that part. I don't know if they mean writing a letter or something in real life. Sorry

I run into our bishop quite a lot and just say “Hi Bishop… How are you today.” When I met Cardinal DiNardo (on a line for coffee at a conference) and Cardinal Dolan, I said the same thing but instead of Bishop… I called them “Your Eminence.” Most bishops today do not stand of formality. In fact the only time I ever saw anyone genuflect and kiss our bishop’s ring they were nuns from Poland.

"Good morning, Bishop." or "Good afternoon, Bishop."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.