What is the differece in a blessing of priest or layman

What is the difference of a blessing given by a ordained priest or a layman? I had a discussion about this with a priest and he said there is no difference. Of course we are not talking about “in persona Christi” and the sacrament but blessing a cross or food at a meal. Thanx to anyone who can help.

The Bible says:The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.(James 5:16)The implication of this passage seems to be that the prayer of a less righteous individual has less power in its effects. So, it seems to me, that, because a layperson blesses something in his own name, the efficacy of his blessing will depend on his personal holiness. In contrast, when a priest blesses something he does so in the Church’s name and the efficacy of a priest’s blessing depends, not on his personal holiness, but on the holiness of the Church, which is most holy because its head, Christ, is most holy.

to: todd easton why the blessing of the real presence has to be done by a father an not by a layman? iam a cradle catholic i just need this info. for my sister she is now disciple of christ. i will appreciate your help.“I promise, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you by publishing this request. Amen.”:slight_smile:

Thanks for your replies. Talking and thinking about it, with others, I think a priest’s blessing is a blessing by one chosen by the Church to bless. They represent Christ in the Sacraments but they represent the Church in their normal blessings. Does that sound right?

Catholic Answers apologist Jimmy Akin answers to this question much better than I could ever do, here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.