What is the difference between the 10 Commandments and the 42 Laws of Maat?

What is the difference between the 10 Commandments and the 42 Laws of Maat?

Are the 10 Commandments taken from the 42 Laws of Maat?

I found this list of the ancient commandments, which the author of the page has been re-worded from “I have not” to “Thou shall not”.

THE 42 COMMANDMENTS OF ANCIENT EGYPT
I.
Thou shalt not kill, nor bid anyone kill.

II.
Thou shalt not commit adultery or rape.

III.
Thou shalt not avenge thyself nor burn with rage.

IV.
Thou shalt not cause terror.

V.
Thou shalt not assault anyone nor cause anyone pain.

VI.
Thou shalt not cause misery.

VII.
Thou shalt not do any harm to man or to animals.

VIII.
Thou shalt not cause the shedding of tears.

IX.
Thou shalt not wrong the people nor bear them any evil intent.

X.
Thou shalt not steal nor take that which does not belong to you.

XI.
Thou shalt not take more than thy fair share of food.

XII.
Thou shalt not damage the crops, the fields, or the trees.

XIII.
Thou shalt not deprive anyone of what is rightfully theirs.

XIV.
Thou shalt not bear false witness, nor support false allegations.

XV.
Thou shalt not lie, nor speak falsely to the hurt of another.

XVI.
Thou shalt not use fiery words nor stir up any strife.

XVII.
Thou shalt not speak or act deceitfully to the hurt of another.

XVIII.
Thou shalt not speak scornfully against others.

XIX.
Thou shalt not eavesdrop.

XX.
Thou shalt not ignore the truth or words of righteousness.

XXI.
Thou shalt not judge anyone hastily or harshly.

XXII.
Thou shalt not disrespect sacred places.

XXIII.
Thou shalt cause no wrong to be done to any workers or prisoners.

XXIV.
Thou shalt not be angry without good reason.

XXV.
Thou shalt not hinder the flow of running water.

XXVI.
Thou shalt not waste the running water.

XXVII.
Thou shalt not pollute the water or the land.

XXVIII.
Thou shalt not take God’s name in vain.

XXIX.
Thou shalt not despise nor anger God.

XXX.
Thou shalt not steal from God.

XXXI.
Thou shalt not give excessive offerings nor less than what is due.

XXXII.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.

XXXIII.
Thou shalt not steal from nor disrespect the dead.

XXXIV.
Thou shalt remember and observe the appointed holy days.

XXXV.
Thou shalt not hold back the offerings due God.

XXXVI.
Thou shalt not interfere with sacred rites.

XXXVII.
Thou shalt not slaughter with evil intent any sacred animals.

XXXVIII.
Thou shalt not act with guile or insolence.

XXXIX.
Thou shalt not be unduly proud nor act with arrogance.

XXXX.
Thou shalt not magnify your condition beyond what is appropriate.

XXXXI.
Thou shalt do no less than your daily obligations require.

XXXXII.
Thou shalt obey the law and commit no treason.

(Note from Author: )
The 42 Principles of Ma’at, the Goddess who personified the ideals of Truth and Righteousness, were known to all the ancient Egyptians. They have been rephrased here in Biblical Commandment form to make them more intelligible and familiar to moderns. In the original form they were preceded with “I have not” as in “I have not stolen.” The Egyptians believed that when they died, their souls would be judged by these principles. Moses and the Israelites, who were originally Egyptians, would have been familiar with these principles, but after wandering for forty years they seem to have only remembered 8 of them (those highlighted in orange). Moses added three new non-secular commandments; the one about not honoring the other gods, the honoring of their parents, and the one that included their neighbor’s wives and slaves as coveted chattel. The remarkable thing about the principles of Ma’at is not only how much more advanced they are in comparison with the Hebrew Commandments, but how most of them are strikingly relevant to this day.

1. God alone exists, no goddess or other gods, so one difference is truth.
  2. God really gave the Commandments to Moses, so another difference is reality.
  3. God’s Commandments are summarized as love, so the third difference is the beginning and end of the law.

Oh yes, and “similarity of beliefs means it is myth” is a fallacy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%27at says “There is little surviving literature that describes the practice of Ancient Egyptian law. Maat was the spirit in which justice was applied rather than a detailed legalistic exposition of rules as in Jewish law.” Which would make one think that there was no real list of "commandments. This brings us to the question of where these supposed “commandments” came from. The list you have provided are derived from the Papyrus of Ani (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_of_Ani) which dates to around 1240BC. Depending on how it is calculated, it is believed that Moses received the 10 commandments between 1513BC and 1446BC (wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_did_Moses_receive_the_Ten_Commandments) which is almost 200-300 years before the Papyrus of Ani.

To me it just means the Egyptians must have thought the 10 commandments were a good idea and expanded on them for their own use.

hi , my name is Andre just stopping by to say hello .:slight_smile:

there is proven fact the maat laws were created almost a 1200 years before moses recevied the ten commandments. moses rec the 10 commandment in 1525 or 1532 bc maat laws were written between 2780 bc and 2250 bc any way u put it it was written way before moses
:eek:

there is proven fact the maat laws were created almost a 1200 years before moses recevied the ten commandments. moses rec the 10 commandment in 1525 or 1532 bc maat laws were written between 2780 bc and 2250 bc any way u put it it was written way before moses
:eek:

hi , my name is Andre just stopping by to say hello .:slight_smile:

This sounds like the Q Source kind of argument. What’s the difference? Well, the Egyptian Laws prove Rom 2:14, " For when the Gentiles, who have not the law, do by nature those things that are of the law; these, having not the law, are a law to themselves." In other words, it proves the natural law that God wrote on our hearts. The difference is that God gave the 10 Commandments to the Jews audibly and outwardly and they MUST keep them. The Jews worshipped the true God and the Egyptians didn’t. The 10 Commandments didn’t come from the Egyptian Laws directly but any truth in them comes from the natural law which ultimately comes from God.

So??? I’m not sure what your point is.
Adam lived even before that and no doubt retained memory of God’s will.

Welcome to the forum.

Correction: God didn’t give “Moses” anything! The Moses of the Bible is a totally Fictional Character. Maakher/Maashe/Moshe/Moses was a TITLE that was a title given to initiates in ancient Egypt (Kamit). His assistant was called “Anan” (Ah-nahn) which became “Aaron” in the Bible. When you see the depiction of Tehuti sitting in a Sacred Barque with the Anan next to him, you are viewing Maakher and Anan (Moses and Aaron). The God Ra calls for the Divine Field (Sekhet Hetep) to be created for the followers of Tehuti and calls for Divine food (Aaru) to be placed in the Divine Field (known as Manna from Heaven). The promised land (sekhet hetep) is established for the followers of Tehuti (Moses) and the “food from heaven” (aaru) is placed therein.

Need more examples?

• The name “Yahweh” = A rehash of the bloodthirsty Pagan god “Yaveilu” of Canaan and Babylon.

• Man created from the clay or earth = A rehash of the Creation stories of Babylon and Egypt, where Marduk, chief among gods, creates humans out of his blood mixed with clay from the earth. In the Egyptian Creation Myth, the first man is made of clay on a potter’s wheel.

• Adam and Eve, forbidden fruit, and the loss of Immortality through a Snake = A rehash of the “Epic of Gilgamesh” which also includes “forbidden fruit” and in which Gilgamesh loses his immortality, stolen by a Snake!

• The story of the Tower of Babel = A rehash of the Sumerian story of “Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta.”

• The story of Noah = A rehash of the Chaldean Myth of a great flood where the “gods of Gilgamesh” want to destroy all of humanity.

• The Old Testament Laws = Plaigarized from the “Code of Hammurabi” of Babylon AND from the 42 Laws of Maat. (Exodus 21:18-19 is plaigarized word for word).

• The story of Samson and Delilah = A rehash of the story of “Enkidu and Shamhat” found in the Epic of Gilgamesh.

• The story of Jonah = A rehash of the Greek demigod Herakles (Hercules) who was also swallowed by a whale, and he too had departed from exactly the same town of “Joppa” just as Jonah did.

Conclusion: 97% of the Bible is pure fabrication, and almost 95% of Biblical stories are copied from Phoenician, Ugaritic, Syrian-Canaanite, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian Myths, Poems, Texts and Stories, written Centuries BEFORE the Bible was crafted.

Your Bible is nothing but a book of Myths plaigarized from other Cultures.

Go and read the Book “101 Bible Myths.”**

Is anyone going to refute this? Im curious to see the responses.

I’m not going to really refute anything above per se, but one must keep in mind that the creation myths, epic stories, etc. of the ancient part of the world we now call the Middle East were virtually all the same; different ethnic names of the main characters and the gods, but all essentially the same stories. I don’t think it’s a matter of “who copied whom”, but rather a borrowing and sharing of a common “root” (Semitic) ancestry/source. It stands to reason that many of the stories would be “borrowed” from one culture to the next and why so many parallels can be found.

Not sure about the Egyptian “mou-isis” (Moses)being a title (a first for me); the name is perfectly good Egyptian and means “born of the water” or “water born” – but, his being found in a river amongst the reeds and bull rushes bears a strong similarity (as I understand it) to the Egyptian story of Horus. Again another one of these cross cultural parallels perhaps.

Yahweh is/was indeed an old Canaanite sky (war) god; sorry, no refuting that one.

The Tower of Babel – perhaps the way the story is told bears a similarity to other stories of related Semitic peoples, but if you remove the story and analyze the facts, it represents a pretty good general understanding by the ancients that all their (Semitic) languages came from a common ancestor to the East.

Many laws in the ancient Middle East were similar from nation to nation – one can imagine that what worked well for one ruler was quickly “borrowed” by others!

The Ten Commandments to me really are just a Jewish version of the Egyptian so-called “Negative Confessions” from the Book of the Dead. That said, they really are more or less almost a “universal moral code”; any culture knows it’s wrong to steal, kill, etc.

One has to remember that the Jewish people who had the “Ten Commandments” had been living in Egypt for several generations and would have been very familiar with all aspects of the Egyptian way of life. Other than differences in who and how they worshiped, I suspect many, if not most, were virtually all absorbed into Egyptian culture and spoke Egyptian far better than Hebrew; just like any other ethnic group you may encounter in your own city being absorbed into American culture and language.

Another perfect example of cross-cultural borrowing is the description of the Ark of The Covenant. It’s a virtual exact description of a typical Egyptian carrying “box” for various objects. Take a look at any bokk on Egyptian art to see several such examples of similar gold gilded boxes adorned with sphinxes or a winged Ra carried on two poles.

I don’t believe the OT has been “plagiarized”, but rather tells all these same epic Semitic “root stories” (for lack of a better term) from a Jewish/Hebrew point of view.

Indeed these are universal moral codes, however, why did the Judeo/Christian versions of these laws and beliefs become more successful and last for thousands of years rather than the stories and myths that they are purported to have evolved from?

:rolleyes:

tektonics.org/gk/greenbergg01.php

As said before, the fact that moral codes are similar between cultures does not prove that they are all fake. It says more about the universality of Natural Law (which comes from God anyway).

Its not just the moral codes that are the same, but the archetypes and stories are all the same too it appears. That is the elephant in the room. How do we ignore that? If the stories were simply borrowed, how can this not diminish its credibility?

I would suggest that it’s because the Jewish people survive(d) as a culture/religion to this day whereas many other Semitic peoples who shared these same stories. mythos, etc. were subsequently absorbed into other cultures (some Babylonians and Assyrians were supposdly absorbed into, as I understand it, some of the peoples of what is today the Caucasus region).

Why is Cherubaby not banned? This is Catholic answers. The way I see it that was close enough to teaching a false gospel to consider that person Anathema.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.