What is the difference....

....between wisdom and knowledge???

Wisdom is doing what is morally good while knowledge applies to the understanding one has of everything including things that are not related to morals.

For example someone that knows how to break into a bank or pull off a perfect heist has knowledge but not wisdom.

[quote="White_Peony, post:1, topic:273811"]

[/quote]

Obama is knowledge but no where near wise.

Does that paint a good picture??

[/quote]

"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." Immanuel Kant, German philosopher (1724 - 1804)

I read someplace last month that:

Knowledge tells one that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom tells one not to use it in a fruit salad.

Knowledge is the information you store in your mind, things that you learn.

Wisdom is the ability to apply that knowledge.

[quote="ivory, post:6, topic:273811"]
Knowledge is the information you store in your mind, things that you learn.

Wisdom is the ability to apply that knowledge.

[/quote]

Yes I agree with that. Just musing on whether (in the mystical sense) the 'understanding' rides above the 'wisdom' - or is below it.

Knowledge is Information and skills acquired through experience or education; it is the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Wisdom is the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment.

Example: Because of knowledge we built nuclear warheads. Because of experience, knowledge, and good judgment we do not use them anymore (and hopefully continue to NOT use them).

[/quote]

Knowledge is specific, extensive and complex. Wisdom is vast, elegant, and simple.

[quote="TraditonRules, post:3, topic:273811"]

[/quote]

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10303914.jpg

sorry, it needed to be done.

Easy.

Knowledge is knowing stuff.

Wisdom is being aware of what you don't know.

[quote="ASimon, post:11, topic:273811"]
Easy.

Knowledge is knowing stuff.

Wisdom is being aware of what you don't know.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I think that that may be the best yet.

Ever see the film Rain Man. Dustin Hoffman's character, a savant, had lots of knowledge, but no wisdom.

In Proverbs it says something along the lines of "Wisdom is the principle hing, so get wisdom and with all thy getting, get understanding".

Wisdom is understanding how to apply knowledge appropriately.

Or as wag once said "The difference between a stupid man and a wise one is the stupid man's inability to calculate the consequences of the action."

[quote="TraditonRules, post:3, topic:273811"]

[/quote]

unless you an Obama fan......

Being English it don't matter too me though he does, kind of look good compared to other presidents you've had in the past.... not that has anything to go on in politics but I wonder how many votes got sucked in unintentionally especially be some female voters:p

Knowledge and wisdom are both learned but if you are wise you will know how to use the knowledge:blush:

[quote="rhiannonh, post:14, topic:273811"]
unless you an Obama fan......

Being English it don't matter too me though he does, kind of look good compared to other presidents you've had in the past.... not that has anything to go on in politics but I wonder how many votes got sucked in unintentionally especially be some female voters:p

Knowledge and wisdom are both learned but if you are wise you will know how to use the knowledge:blush:

[/quote]

If knowledge and wisdom are both 'learned' then perhaps understanding is 'given'; thus both above and below both.

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.