What is the epiphony?

OK, I probably butchered the spelling of “epiphony” but you know what I"m asking. does it comemorate the three wize men? I’m not sure what this day is about. can someone share with me what it means?

You are correct. The Epiphany of the Lord (January 8, 2006) highlights “the manifestation (epiphany) of the universal dominion of the newborn King, as dramatized in the Lord Jesus’ manifestation to the Magi (wise men from the East).” (New…Saint Joseph Sunday Missal, page 175)

[quote=SueKrum]OK, I probably butchered the spelling of “epiphony” but you know what I"m asking. does it comemorate the three wize men? I’m not sure what this day is about. can someone share with me what it means?
[/quote]

An “Epiphany” is an unveiling or showing forth of something hidden. There are many epiphanies in the New Testament where Christ’s Divinity is unveiled for some to see. It was shown to the Wise Men who the baby in the manger was.

[quote=SueKrum]OK, I probably butchered the spelling of “epiphony” but you know what I"m asking. does it comemorate the three wize men? I’m not sure what this day is about. can someone share with me what it means?
[/quote]

Scripture does does mention three wise men. It has been assumed there were three wise men because there were three gifts: gold, frankensense, and myrrh.

[quote=thistle]Scripture does does mention three wise men. It has been assumed there were three wise men because there were three gifts: gold, frankensense, and myrrh.
[/quote]

Sorry. typo. I meant does NOT mention!

[/quote]

I answer this in another thread in this forum, you are correct, look here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=91209

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.