What is the essence of Catholicism?

Hello, :slight_smile:

I am a recent believer in God (converting from atheism and agnosticism) and even more recently a Christian attending the RCIA program.

Because of my secular background I know very little about Catholicism. I would like to know what I can read that will summarize the whole of Catholic faith.

I would also appreciate assistance in recognizing that Catholic teaching is Truth. After a very long process of reading and thinking I am completely certain that God exists. Things become less certain when I consider why God needed to become man to save us. A bit less certain still when I think of Jesus Christ being the Son of God. And still less certain why a particular denomination of Christianity is right and another is wrong.

This is a very scary situation for me to be in. A lot of the time I find myself having a very strong faith, but there are times when I think about why God had to become man, and whether Jesus really was the Son of God. I find myself subconsciously influenced by my secular upbringing which was filled with very anti-God and anti-Catholic attitudes. :frowning:

I need help in growing in faith. I think that if I knew Catholic teaching very well and truly understood why it has to be this way and not another, my faith would grow.

I would greatly appreciate it if an apologist guided me to good sources :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Dear Hermione,

Here are some good sources: “The Spirit of Catholicism” by Karl Adam, available through amazon.com / “Theology for Beginners” by Frank Sheed, available through catholic.com or our order line: 888 291 8000 / “Fundamentals of the Faith” by Peter Kreeft, available through Catholic Answers as well.

Let us know if you need more help. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.