What is the explaination for this Quran passages?

I would be grateful if some muslims explain what this means. Its repeated four times in Quran.

I had asked it earlier too, but seems Muslims evaded the question,

YUSUFALI: He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then is he guiltless. For Allah is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: He hath forbidden you only carrion, and blood, and swineflesh, and that which hath been immolated to (the name of) any other than Allah. But he who is driven by necessity, neither craving nor transgressing, it is no sin for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

YUSUFALI: Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swineflesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death-stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you as religion al-Islam. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

YUSUFALI: Say: “I find not in the message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine,- for it is an abomination - or, what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked, other than Allah’s”. But (even so), if a person is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- thy Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: Say: I find not in that which is revealed unto me aught prohibited to an eater that he eat thereof, except it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or swineflesh - for that verily is foul - or the abomination which was immolated to the name of other than Allah. But whoso is compelled (thereto), neither craving nor transgressing, (for him) lo! thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

YUSUFALI: He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: He hath forbidden for you only carrion and blood and swineflesh and that which hath been immolated in the name of any other than Allah; but he who is driven thereto, neither craving nor transgressing, lo! then Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: He has only forbidden you what dies of itself and blood and flesh of swine and that over which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

I think it means that if you have nothing else to eat and will die if you don’t eat it, then you can eat swine or whatever else is normally forbidden and God will not hold it against you.

If you’re asking why it appears so many times, I have no idea. :slight_smile:

The law is based on the Jewish dietary law; yet more proof that Mohammed plagerized Jewish text.

different translations :slight_smile:

wasalam

that’s correct :thumbsup:

Tafsir 2.173

In this verse, permission for the use of an unclean thing has been given on three conditions:

(1) It must be really a case of extremity. For instance, if one is dying of hunger or thirst or if one’s life is in danger because of some disease and there is nothing available except an unclean thing, one is permitted to take it.

(2) One should not cherish any desire in one’s heart to break the law of Allah.

(3) One should not take even a bit more than what is absolutely necessary. For example, if in a certain case, a few bits or drops of an unclean thing can save life, then nothing more than this absolute minimum should be taken.

searchtruth.com/tafsir/tafsir.php?chapter=2

If something is bad than that is bad, so why such restrictions? If it is bad and it can save live than how can it be bad?

If swine meat can give life to a dying man, than that must be a life saving meat, so if some muslims can give a correct meaning to the statements in my text, I would appreciate.:slight_smile:

similar to the Jewish understanding…you are permitted to break the Sabbath or to eat pork under extreme circumstances.

Lying is a sin …but sometimes it becomes an obligatory to lie , like lying to a Nazi asking for Jews hiding in your house.

The Torah specifies **that the camel, the rock badger, the hare and the pig **must not be eaten by Jews, along with some other “foods”, but muslims **do **eat camel and hare. I don’t know about “rock badger”… :stuck_out_tongue:

So it seems they/allah only picked the “swine” from the Jewish dietary laws. :shrug:

I wish you would just use “they”

thank you

Well, since muslims claim the koran is from allah, I removed “they” ~ since I believe the koran is not the Word of God.

So it seems allah only picked the “swine” from the Jewish dietary laws.

use “they” or “Mohammed” or anything else…but saying “Allah” implies you believe that a different god exists …and it may actually confuse and annoy Arab Christians…or even Arab Muslims interested in Christianity (me for example)

again,I don’t mind using “Mohamed invented …” or “Muslims invented…” and most Muslims find it perfectly ok when dialouging with Christians

I am also not sure why did you use three words not capitalized, Allah , Koran , Muslims…

again,being respectful to Muslims doesn’t mean you somehow become “friendly toward Islam” …please keep that in mind

So it seems the authors of the koran only picked the “swine” from the Jewish dietary laws.

Jakasaki,I am more interested in Christianity than ever before…and things like that only adds “mixed feelings” in my heart… that’s why I feel more comfortable when discussing with Jews… I also find in my dialogues,that “Arab orthodox” are more respectful than other Arab Christian groups…

:thumbsup: … now you are talking :slight_smile:

QUOTE=Hadi;5677208]Jakasaki,I am more interested in Christianity than ever before…

I wish you well with whatever you are seeking ~ I’ve known you since you joined CAF and many times you have expressed an interest in Christianity and also Judaism but your problem with us has been the Holy Trinity whereas in Judaism, there is no such thing.

and things like that only adds “mixed feelings” in my heart…

I confess, I do have a habit of doing that to people.

that’s why I feel more comfortable when discussing with Jews…

I believe you have expressed that feeling before

I also find in my dialogues,that “Arab orthodox” are more respectful than other Arab Christian groups

Okey~dokey!!!

**To the OP:

I’m sorry in regards to replying to Hadi posts I have “hijacked” your thread**. :frowning:

What’s interesting is that you are noticing me as a Christian Orthodox not using capitalization for the koran, muslim & allah, but I’ve never seen a post from you towards our muslim poster “elwill” for not properly addressing and correcting him…

QUOTE=elwill;5675823]hi jay , actually **islam **hold the the commandment " thou shalt not commit adultry" actually **quran **not hold the situation of sex relation with salve with some conditions to be adultery , so the common concept of adultery which **muslims **and christians hold are prohihbited in **islam **

Once again OP, I’m sorry but at times things like this happens to threads…

see my post in "heroin in Koran " and you may find some connection … I’m not saying that your intention is to insult …but it’s probably like when black people use the N word between them and when white people use it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.