What is the "good news"?

According to your understanding of Christianity, what is the good news (the gospel)?

That the Incarnation(christ) has come to redeem fallen creation and has broken the bands of death

The Good News is that the Good News is, ultimately, for ALL, not just for some, because if it was only for some, than it would not be good news at all but horrific news.

:thumbsup:

What? Nobody thinks Jesus Christ died to save sinners?

I believe that the good news refers specifically to Christ’s resurrection. “Christ is Risen!” we declare at Pascha (Easter). Death no longer holds any power over us, and the kingdom of Heaven is ours.

But there have been trillions and trillions of horrific deaths for the past 2000 years…

Redeem fallen creation =save sinners as well…

Luke 2

And Christ has over come the bands of death…that is the good news…

As I said in my post, the Good News is for ALL, Jesus is the Saviour of ALL, the Good News is that man (humanity) and God are reconciled.

I’m confused, what does “bands” mean?
How has He overcome death, and why is that good news for me?

This would have been a great post, if done 24 hours after you started the thread - not 65 minutes after…

The Good News is Jesus Christ.

It means that Christ died for our sins and that whomsoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. It also means that my life is no longer my own and that it was purchased by Christ death and resurrection. It means that I am bound by Him to strive and live a life of sacrifice of obeying His commandments. It means that my faith is not alone, that by the Grace of God I have been drawn to His only begotten son and given through His Holy Spirit gifts to empower me to accomplish God’s plan through Christ and His Church. It means that I am not alone, but I am part of something bigger than myself, I am part of the body of Christ - the pillar and bulwark of truth - His Church!

I suppose I should have been more broad and said that the “good news” encompasses all of Christ’s life, but that the focal point is the Resurrection.

Here are thoughts from an earlier thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=6040010#post6040010

“Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” (Hebrew 9:27-28)

Physical death is no longer eternal…
By His resurrection, He has broken the bands of death…

You will be resurrected…Redeemed from death

(and since some got confused by Pope Francis’ recent remarks on this, I will add, “redemption” and “salvation” are not the same thing…

Quid pro quo.

Where does Scripture say that everything must be plainly taught in Scriptures?

Interesting that nobody can give a serious answer to this question on here.

Thank you Steve, can you tell me how this passage relates to us overcoming death please?

Why do you think we are not being serious?

Im very serious…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.