What is the Gospel?

Do Catholics and non-Catholics have different ideas about the Gospel message?

Let’s find out.

The gospel is simple enough for a child to understand and at the same time, the gospel is so glorious that we can never exhaust the depths of it in awe and wonder. The gospel is God’s great news that we proclaim to all men in what God has done for us in Christ. The gospel is like a diamond where we can gaze at different aspects of it, and treasure it deep down in our hearts, soul, and mind for all eternity. What kind of love is this that my God would die for me so I can live? The gospel in a nutshell is 2 Corinthians 5:21 together with John 3:16. In the gospel, we find the perfect righteousness of God which is required to dwell with God forever and forever.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith. - Apostolic Truth

Then what is the rest of it for?

Chapter 3 of Pope Benedict’s book “Jesus of Nazareth” has an awesome explanation of the evangelion (AKA “gospel”).

Randy, often they do not, but too many cases they do and it’s taking what is written out of context. It’s easy to take just a small part, ignore what came before and afterwards and form a rather flawed model as to what it teaches, it’s like a 1/2 truth when it comes down to it. I’ve listened to many, many protestant sermons and found no problem with the message and interpretations, yet it largely was up to who happened to be ministering at the time more then just denomination, and it’s not to say I have been in total agreement with every Catholic priests message as well, especially when they go into a tangent in their sermons that have nothing to do with the gospel.

As long as our protestant brethren realize we Catholics have the same gospel as they, with the important full inclusion of all of the books, we should keep our focus on the similarities, not the differences, for we have had enough division for too long and now we finally can educate each other through places like this, dispelling centuries of misconceptions.

What is the gospel to a Catholic? Christ has died, Christ has risen and Christ will come again.

The gospel is Gods plan of reconciling Himself to man-the righteous dying for the unrighteous-demonstrating and proving a love beyond anything we can imagine. Through this gospel the prophesied New Covenant is implemented, where God promised to write His laws on our hearts and in our minds-helping us to realize our direct dependency on Him to be able to fulfill His commandments and become transformed into the beings He’s always had in mind to live eternally with Him.

Please answer the thread topic question dear sister in the Lord. What is the gospel?

Nice sidestep. What did the Holy Spirit inspire the rest of the Bible for, if the entire message of God is contained in two verses? :shrug:

Do you mind sharing it with your non-Catholic siblings? I have not read Pope Benedict’s book to understand what you posted in regards to the important question of “what is the gospel”? Maybe you can just summarize chapter 3 for the non-Catholic Christians on Catholic Answers?

This is not my thread. So,I don’t want to derail it. I really want to know what Catholic Christians believe in regards to the thread question of "what is the gospel’? I already posted my answer to the thread question of what is the gospel (see post 2). If you re-read my posting on the gospel, 2 Cor 5:21 along with John 3:16 is the gospel in a nutshell. In addition, there are aspects of the gospel in which we can never exhaust… so it would take an eternity to see all angles and aspects to the gospel.

“The wall is no longer necessary… For this reason Luther’s phrase: “faith alone” is true…” Pope Benedict XVI

Just thought I’d go a little off topic, he meant faith alone, as in, if you do have faith, true faith, you still will produce good works, well, unless you are paraplegic, deaf, blind, and in a coma…

Now, back on topic sorta. What came first, the church or the gospel? Shouldn’t we be following the church first, then the gospel second, with both being led by the Holy Spirit?

What’s so wonderful about that? A Mormon can post the exact same thing. Where is the passion, the burning fire, and the joy in your proclamation of the gospel? Are you rejoicing in the gospel of God?

In summary of your post, maybe 2 Cor 5, Rom 8, Jeremiah 31, and Ezekiel 36?

The Gospel is the message of God to the human race. The entirety of the Scriptures, the Holy Tradition, the natural world, and the history of the human race contains this message. It cannot be summarized except in the Person of Jesus Christ, who is God in human flesh. The Gospel was fulfilled in Christ’s death on the Cross, made relevant to human beings in His resurrection, and will finally be received by all at the Second Coming. :slight_smile:

This thread below was created for your off the topic comment.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=378445

To answer your question about the this thread, it is through faith in the gospel that we become part of the church. So, I have to disagree with you that you should follow the church first and the gospel second. I don’t think there is any biblical basis for your view.

Do you mind sharing your understanding of the gospel? What is the gospel?

I believe the centrality of the gospel is Christ and Him crucified for the ungodly, the unrighteous, and the wicked, so we can be brought near to God… calling Him Abba Father. Please help me understand what you meant by "The Gospel was fulfilled in Christ’s death on the cross, made relevant to human beings in His ressurection, and will finally be received by all at the Second Coming?

The gospel is the inspired word of God which has been handed down through the ages by the Catholic church.

James 2:14
My brothers, what [is] the gain if anyone says he has faith, but he does not have works? Is the faith able to save him?

James 2:16
and any one of you say to them, Go in peace, be warmed and filled, but does not give them the things the body needs, what gain [is it]?

James 2:18
But someone will say, You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith out of my works.

James 2:20
But are you willing to know, O vain man, that faith apart from works is dead?

James 2:22
You see that faith worked with his works; and out of the works the faith was perfected.

James 2:24
You see, then, that a man is justified out of works, and not out of faith only.

James 2:25
But in the same way Rahab the harlot was also justified out of works, having received the messengers, and sending them out by another way.

James 2:26
For as the body is dead apart from the spirit, so also faith is dead apart from works.

James 2:14
My brothers, what [is] the gain if anyone says he has faith, but he does not have works? Is the faith able to save him?

There is more, much more, I’ll repost to the other thread

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.