What is the greatest rock album of all time?

[quote="distracted, post:18, topic:203604"]
i don't consider the Beach Boys "rock".. i guess its soft rock..

i would have asked what is the greated hard rock album... but i don't really like HARD hard rock... so didn't want to get into a discussion about AC/DC and that heavy metal ****

i have never heard #4... not even one song therefrom, as far as i know..

haven't heard much Bob Dylan either.. but i like that song about how you have to choose.. or believe in some one..

[/quote]

4 was the epitome of the punk rock movement of the late 1970s

HIghway 61 was Dylan's first with a full rock band and was the full interweaving of complex folk lyrics with rock sound

[quote="matsuyamakiwi, post:16, topic:203604"]
Radiohead - Ok Computer :)

[/quote]

Much like Oasis' "Definitely Maybe" (an album routinely ranked higher than Sgt. Pepper by people in England: Google that if you don't believe me), definitely a contender. :thumbsup:

It's very un-Catholic... but The Velvet Underground - the one with the banana. I forget the name of the album. "White Light White Heat" rocks a bit harder but the banana album is more consistently good.

Whoever doesn't like Van Halen because David Lee Roth is pagan - I thought he was Jewish. But there's the whole Sammy Hagar catalog to choose from too.

Finally the best rock album from the '80s: Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Sgt. Pepper

Abbey Road (Beatles)
Hell Freezes Over (Eagles)
Nevermind (Nirvana)
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan) **

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:23, topic:203604"]
It's very un-Catholic... but The Velvet Underground - the one with the banana. I forget the name of the album. "White Light White Heat" rocks a bit harder but the banana album is more consistently good.

[/quote]

Velvet Underground & Nico. And "I'll Be Your Mirror" is one of the most inspirational "secular" songs ever written, so the description of it as "un-Catholic" is a bit harsh. :confused:

[quote="havana1, post:26, topic:203604"]
Velvet Underground & Nico. And "I'll Be Your Mirror" is one of the most inspirational "secular" songs ever written, so the description of it as "un-Catholic" is a bit harsh. :confused:

[/quote]

Great song as is the album it's from but one could definitely not call the latter at all Catholic except in the secular sense that it's a very Catholic record considering the many influences on it.

I thought we might as well post some clips or versions of the songs from albums we like - this is the Velvet Underground Song referenced below:-

youtube.com/watch?v=xPbH1g5iicw&feature=fvw

And some of my favourites from the albums I referenced, from Electric Ladyland 'Voodoo Chile' - not 'Voodoo Chile (slight return)' which is a different song altogether and better known:-

youtube.com/watch?v=bXqxXrjoOf0

The Beatles 'Tomorrow Never Knows'

youtube.com/watch?v=6a3NcwfOBzQ

Tom Waits '$29.00"

youtube.com/watch?v=oGyxy8k_E0U

You never know we all might find ourselves appreciating some musician we weren't so familiar with!

Not one mention of "Exile on Main Street","Sticky Fingers", "Tommy", "Quadrophenia", "Who's Next"? Curious.

"Made in Japan" by Deep Purple is the best live rock album of all time.

[quote="kmaaj, post:28, topic:203604"]
Not one mention of "Exile on Main Street","Sticky Fingers", "Tommy", "Quadrophenia", "Who's Next"? Curious.

"Made in Japan" by Deep Purple is the best live rock album of all time.

[/quote]

I've always found the Stones and The Who to have been a better singles than album band personally. They have some great moments but I don't think they have an album I'd find a classic, even the much lauded "Exile on Main Street" is an album I find patchy heresy as it may be to say so!

I think it is so cute the music world is back to where I started out, where you could by just the 45 with the song you liked, and did not have to buy a whole CD to get one song, now you can just pay and download the songs you want, aint technology great. How, my dear children, do you play CDs and MP3s backwards, though?

I have to endores Hell Freezes over

and Jackson Browne, can't remember the album name, the one with I am the Cat among other tunes, Looking East?

Byrds Tambourine Man
BS&T greatest hits
I am not qualified to nominate greatest albums for musical values only for the emotional impact and influence they have to recall certain key parts of life

I am not hearing from any Doors fans, I guess you have to be smokin to enjoy them

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:27, topic:203604"]
Great song as is the album it's from but one could definitely not call the latter at all Catholic except in the secular sense that it's a very Catholic record considering the many influences on it.

[/quote]

Yeah, I think Lou Reed may have been raised Catholic. I also heard somewhere that Andy Warhol was a devout Eastern-Rite Catholic.

I do like "I'll Be Your Mirror". However when I refer to it as "un Catholic" I'm thinking of songs like "Venus In Furs" and "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting For My Man" and "There She Goes Again (you better hit her!)" All good songs in their own way (I've never used heroin or gone uptown to buy it, but I feel like I know what it's like now).

Now since they have come up several times I will definitively rank the Beatles and Dylan albums, and name the best tracks on each.

Beatles
1. Revolver - Best overlooked song, "I'm only sleeping"
2. Abbey Road - I really like the progression closing side 1 with "I want you / she's so heavy" and beginning side 2 with "Here comes the sun"
3. Rubber Soul - favorite is "I'm looking through you" except they had to have Ringo blaring on the Hammond organ at the end of the refrain
Actually my favorite Beatles single might, just might, be "Rain" - from the Rubber Soul/Revolver era, but I think it was only released as a single, not on any of the LPs.
I put Sgt Pepper somewhere between "Hard Days Night" and "Help"(both of which I also like).

Dylan
1. Tie - Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde... overall I like Highway 61 better, but B on B has the greatest Dylan song of all, "Visions of Johanna". Best song on Hwy 61 is "Desolation Row".
3. Bringin' it all back home (is this the one with "Love Minus Zero / No Limit"? I can't remember if that's on BIABH or Hwy 61. If not then the best song is "Gates of Eden")
4. Blood on the tracks ("Idiot Wind" followed closely by "If you see her say hello")

Honorable mention songs for Dylan, "Girl from the North Country" duet version with Johnny Cash from "Nashville Skyline", "Positively 4th Street" (??? Greatest Hits) and "Changing of the Guard" (???, on Greatest Hits Volume 3)

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:31, topic:203604"]
Yeah, I think Lou Reed may have been raised Catholic. I also heard somewhere that Andy Warhol was a devout Eastern-Rite Catholic.

[/quote]

You heard right:
*Flippant, brazen and flamboyant as an art world personality, Warhol long kept private his devout, lifelong Catholicism.

"Only his closest confidants knew he was a religious person and frequently went to Mass," said Sharon Matt Atkins, coordinating curator of the Brooklyn Museum exhibit "Andy Warhol: The Last Decade," which opens on June 18.*
Source: uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE65A4KO20100611?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:31, topic:203604"]

Beatles
1. Revolver - Best overlooked song, "I'm only sleeping"

[/quote]

That was my favorite song for years!! Great tune.

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:23, topic:203604"]

Whoever doesn't like Van Halen because David Lee Roth is pagan - I thought he was Jewish. But there's the whole Sammy Hagar catalog to choose from too.

[/quote]

DL Roth is a "pagan" cuz i heard he made passes at all his friends girlfriens.. went to bed with a few... if i recall, Valerie Bertinelli was the only one he didn't go to bed with..

but then i guess that's a reflection on the women involved also.. :rolleyes:

if no woman ever slept with a man w/o benefit of marriage... men wouldn't be so... well, you know... :rolleyes:

[quote="havana1, post:32, topic:203604"]
You heard right:
*Flippant, brazen and flamboyant as an art world personality, Warhol long kept private his devout, lifelong Catholicism.

"Only his closest confidants knew he was a religious person and frequently went to Mass," said Sharon Matt Atkins, coordinating curator of the Brooklyn Museum exhibit "Andy Warhol: The Last Decade," which opens on June 18.*
Source: uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE65A4KO20100611?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

[/quote]

uh...

how devout are you when no one knows???

My nominees:
Steppenwolf – the album with Born to be Wild and the Pusher
The Doors; The Doors
Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA
Iron Butterfly: Inna Gadda Da Vida
Cream: Fresh Cream

[quote="distracted, post:35, topic:203604"]
uh...

how devout are you when no one knows???

[/quote]

Well, apparently, somebody at the New York Diocese knew, because his public memorial was held at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Here's a copy of the program:
findadeath.com/Deceased/w/warhol/Warholfuneralprogram.gif

[quote="havana1, post:37, topic:203604"]
Well, apparently, somebody at the New York Diocese knew, because his public memorial was held at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Here's a copy of the program:
findadeath.com/Deceased/w/warhol/Warholfuneralprogram.gif

[/quote]

that's a joke..

Ted Kennedy was given a Catholic funeral..

Geeze... does the word Catholic mean anything at all anymore????

rhetorical question..

[quote="Julianna, post:4, topic:203604"]
Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin IV

[/quote]

My pick would be one of these three. Probably Physical Graffiti since it has the most content.

Pearl Jam, Vrs
Sgt Pepper
Led Zepplin IV
Mettalica-Black album
Guns and Roses Use Your Illusion is on my list, I think it is underrated.
Kiss-Destroyer (with Kiss, I think you either love them or hate them, I know it's simple music to play, but if your looking just for straight up fun rock, it's them! ;) )

Great answers so far! From this bad bass player to everyone on the list, keep on rocking!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.