What is the greatest Sacrament?

Is it the Eucharist?

By George, he got it. Noah, yes of course the greatest Sacrament of the Seven is the Blessed Eucharist.:signofcross:

the grace of the Eucharist is the source of grace for all the other sacraments so it is indeed the greatest sacrament.

Can one receive the graces from the Eucharist if one is not first baptized? Doesn’t baptism wash away ALL sin while the Eucharist can bring condemnation upon us if we receive it unworthily?

True that is why you can never make Sacrament greater than the next. They are a gift from God. My opinion that the greatest sacrament is the Eucharist because without the we can’t have the Mass.

No and Yes.

Baptism is the gateway to all the other sacraments, and it is absolutely necessary for our salvation. However, given that a person is baptized, the Eucharist is the most sublime because
the Eucharist is the “source and summit of the Christian life.” (CCC)

This is explained so well in this article “The Eucharist: Source and Summit of Christian Spirituality” by Mark Brumley.
ewtn.com/library/DOCTRINE/SOURCSUM.TXT

“To say the Eucharist is the “source and summit of Christian
spirituality” means at least two things. First, that Christian
spirituality flows from the Eucharist as its source, the way
light streams forth from the sun. And second, that Christian
spirituality is supremely realized in and ordered to the
Eucharist as its summit or high-point, that to which all of our
actions should ultimately be directed.”

In other words, we receive grace, in fact Christ Himself - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity - from the Eucharist; and we offer all our work and our very selves joined with Christ’s sacrifice. God gives to us, and we give back to God.

The Eucharist is what living our faith is all about, as members of the Body of Christ which we became at baptism

My preist once said that the Sacrament of Reconciliation was the greatest of the sacraments.

Can’t get to heaven with known mortal sins…

Can’t receive the Eucharist with known mortal sins…

This is what we were told in his homily one Sunday. Although he did leave the “door” open for God to override all this with His Will.

:frowning: Did I mention that my parish priest is a tad bit liberal on some things?

Your priest is not necessarily wrong. No one has ever “ranked” the sacraments, because each is important for salvation in its own way.

It’s kind of like, which is more important, food or medicine? Well, we certainly need food for nourishment, we use it as part of our celebrations, we use it to console ourselves (sometimes)…it’s a major part of our daily living. But medicine certainly has it’s place for improving the quality of our life and even saving it.

The thing about the Eucharist is that it gives us interaction with God on a level that surpasses the other sacraments.

A sacrament is a visible sign instituted by Jesus Christ to give grace. In the sacrament of the Eucharist, the sacrament IS Jesus. :slight_smile:

And without being baptized into the faith, what do we get from the Mass?

And can we receive the graces that Jesus has to offer if we have not been baptized into the faith or are we receiving the Lord unworthily and bringing condemnation upon ourselves?

Asked in post #4 and answered in post #6

Nice article. It was very good. :thumbsup:

[quote=THE PASCHAL MYSTERY IN THE CHURCH’S SACRAMENTS]1113 The whole liturgical life of the Church revolves around the Eucharistic sacrifice and the sacraments.29 There are seven sacraments in the Church: Baptism, Confirmation or Chrismation, Eucharist, Penance, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and Matrimony.30 This article will discuss what is common to the Church’s seven sacraments from a doctrinal point of view. What is common to them in terms of their celebration will be presented in the second chapter, and what is distinctive about each will be the topic of the Section Two.
[/quote]

I suppose the greatest to each person would be conditional upon what state they are in at their particular time. To some it my be going to confession. To others, it would be baptism. To others, it would be confirmation. To some considering true marriage, it would be marriage.

1210 Christ instituted the sacraments of the new law. There are seven: Baptism, Confirmation (or Chrismation), the Eucharist, Penance, the Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders and Matrimony. The seven sacraments touch all the stages and all the important moments of Christian life:1 they give birth and increase, healing and mission to the Christian’s life of faith. There is thus a certain resemblance between the stages of natural life and the stages of the spiritual life.

Nonetheless if all things are confirmed as can be confirmed (for example many who receive Holy Orders usually do not also receive the Sacrament of Marriage), then I suppose one can then look to the Eucharist which is indeed the source and summit of Christian Spirituality.

On one hand, it seems easy…The Eucharist. It is God after all…

However, when you start ranking things, it becomes silly. What’s next? I’ll give you some food for thought.

Which is better…

Rosary or Adoration?
St. Francis or St. Joseph?
Immaculate Conception or Assumption?
Scripture or Apostolic Tradition?
Luke’s Gospel or Matthew’s Gospel?

Can you love any of these too much? It’s like ranking your children from favorite to least favorite. My advice: don’t act as if you have a sum of love to give out. Love everything lovable with your whole heart.
:thumbsup:

Let me back tract a bit and let me correct myself. I would say the Eucharist is the greatest because Jesus becomes truly present amongst us. His presence is there, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. Isn’t Jesus the greatest gift we can have?

I have read the conversion stories from Scott Hahn, Alex Jones and other former Protestants. Many of them started to believe that Jesus is truly present in the Blessed Host.

The Holy Spirit has given them the grace to consider the conversion to the Catholic Church for these men, women, and their family seek Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

The graces they received allowed them to be baptized (if they were not already baptized), received confirmation, and so forth.

All of the Sacraments cannot be divided. They are unified in a spiritual sense. You go to Confession because you want to renew your relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church so you can worthily received him.

Many of the converts to our faith converted because of the Real Presence of Jesus Christ. Since many of them come from a Protestant background, their love for the Lord allow them to do so, and so they converted.

I go to confession because I want to received the Lord worthily. It is the Eucharist that move me, and give me the strength to overcome temptation and sin.

You can’t really defined doctrinally which Sacrament is greater. They are all unique and special. They give us special graces, and each grace receives varies from person to person. I do say that since the Eucharist is the Source, Summit, and Center of our faith, we are move to do good deeds in light of obeying the Commandments, and most importantly, our love for God.

You take God out of the picture. Our Sacraments are nothing.

The Catechism answers this question:

CCC 1211: the Eucharist occupies a unique place as the “Sacrament of sacraments”: “all the other sacraments are ordered to it as to their end.”

CCC 1324: The Eucharist is “the source and summit of the Christian life.” “The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.”

-Baptism is the greatest because it opens the door to Christian life for us.
-Confirmation is the greatest because it is God’s seal on us marking us as completly his.
-The Eucharist is the greatest because we are able to recieve God physically into our body.
-Confession is the greatest because we recieve God’s mercy.
-Matrimony is the greatest because it allows us to participate with God in the creation of new life.
-Holy Orders are the greatest because it allows some to participate more fully with the priesthood of God in implimenting his sacraments.
-Healing of the Sick is the best because it is God’s blessing that we will be healed (spiritually, and/or physically).

IMO they are all the greatest because they are gifts from GOD they have no match, and they are all instruments of his grace.

I guess that settles it.

The Eucharist, as it is the source and summit of everything that is Catholic
Deacon Ed B

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.