What is the impact on faith or Catholic teaching if Neanderthals interbred with humans?

What is the impact on faith or Catholic teaching if Neanderthals interbred with humans?

Well I thought that was already an established fact.

So I guess either:

1. We had souls and they didn’t.
  2. We both had souls

:shrug::shrug:

But their kids?

I’m thinking they’d have had souls.

Who says that Neanderthals weren’t, themselves, ensouled?

None whatsoever.

If they could breed with human beings of “our type” (actually the Cro Magnons), then they were human, whatever their head shape or other physical indices.

ICXC NIKA

To be clear, all living things “have souls”. The difference between us and other creatures is that we have spiritual, immortal souls, whereas animals and plants have material, mortal souls. They lack reason, conceptual intelligence, or moral knowledge.

See this interesting Catholic Answers article on the subject.

Read the Book of Enoch. I tend to think it’s worth considering Neanderthals being some product of the time recorded in that book.

It’s interesting to ponder.

Absolutely nothing.

None whatsoever. It just explains a lot about modern politics.

According to the book of Genesis, humans interbred with Nephillim. So, what?:shrug:

Beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, it was the “sons of God” who interbred with the “daughters of men” to produce the Nephilim.

Yes, this is true, but didnt the offspring Nephilim also mate with human females?

We can only guess!

My $.02:

Humans have human souls.
Animals have animal souls.

If Neanderthals did not have human souls, then they were not human. Whether or not the offspring of any union between species received human souls would have been at God’s sole discretion.

If Neanderthals did not have human souls, then they were not human. Whether or not the offspring of any union between species received human souls would have been at God’s sole discretion.

And we can only guess, in any case, as souls do not fossilize, and leave no trace via the head size or other bodily parameter.

If they could breed with human life, would that not make them human? Isn’t that how species are defined?

It is an established fact, and the proof is in the DNA of some populations. There is no effect on the teaching that God is the Creator of everything, including humans. Only God knows when we were ensouled.

Could be. And for the record. I’d pay you at least a dime for that.

Peace.

-Trident

Homo neanderthalsis is a human species, and thus has souls

None.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.